Are some courses more difficult to get onto than others?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
JCBird

Post by JCBird » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi, I'm new to this site, and so far have found it extremely useful! I'm approaching the end of my undergraduate degree and have just begun applying for AP posts - I have found all the advice on this site excellent in helping with my first applications!

I was just wondering out of curiosity, if some Doctoral courses are more difficult to get onto than others in general - for example, are places such as Oxford harder to get into than universities that are easier to get into in the undergrad world?

I know Oxford is a place that typically wants their students (undergrads at least) to be the 'Oxford type' so is difficult to get in to. On the Oxford Doctoral course, does this type of elitism apply to the application process? Or are all courses equally as difficult to get onto?

Thanks, Jess

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:25 pm

You can see from the figures in the clearing house that there are slightly different levels of competition to get onto each course, though all are competitive. However, all courses are equally valued once you are qualified (provided they have BPS acreditation) and they all select on a similar basis, though each has a particular 'style'. For example, some courses are seen as more pro CBT, or more reflective, or more biased towards very academic applicants. Some have pre-selection tests, others have particular interview formats (for example, group tasks, or critical appraisals of a research paper, or whole day interview processes). So it is worth finding out more about a course than just the location and the odds of an application being successful! However, it sounds like you have plenty of time to find that out :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

enid

Re: Are some courses more difficult to get onto than others?

Post by enid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:35 pm

'you can see from the clearing house'...
Miriam, do you have the link for this please? I was wondering about this. I know where I want to apply, based on the course itself, and which suits me, but just wondered if there were any stats anywhere on how many apply for each course and how many are accepted.

ell

Post by ell » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 pm

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/ - for the Clearing House website - essential for the whole process (you cannot apply without visiting this website).

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicNumbers.html - for the numbers of applicants for individual course centres.

enid

Post by enid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks. Thought I'd read every corner of that site ;) but couldn't find anything on stats. I found this which is quite interesting and kind of what I was looking for, just out of interest more than anything :) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7139

I'd really like to know what the stats are for Bath, but I know too early to examine, as that will likely be my first choice next year.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:39 pm

enid wrote: I'd really like to know what the stats are for Bath, but I know too early to examine, as that will likely be my first choice next year.
Bath had 565 applicants this year and just over 600 last year, and they interviewed 60 people for 14 places, hope that helps!
Forever blowing bubbles....

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 am

I found them all rather tricky to persuade to take me on :wink:
Fail, fail again, fail better.

turts

Post by turts » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am

I've heard that bath have a very academic criteria - they value good A - levels, firsts, MSc, PhD and publications.
I know all the courses value that but ive heard that bath really value that more than the average and more than experience such as AP posts. So if you are really keen on Bath i would really try to get a first, and maybe if you can afford it go straight into a clinically relevent masters and do some clinical work on the side. i think bath actually have a masters program where you get a AP type placement in the summer after your masters which should set you up well for AP posts too...

*DISCLAIMER* I might be completely wrong as it's just what a friend told me who didnt get an interview there and spoke to the course director on the phone.

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 am

I personally think Lancaster is clearly the most difficult but most worthwhile course to get on to*.

*I might be slightly biased.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Boatgirl

Post by Boatgirl » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:18 am

Ah, it seems like Bath might have been more suitable for me than Lancaster :wink: Perhaps I wouldn't ended up on reserve list there. However, I'm not prepared to move for the course. I heard this year that Sheffield interview focuses on research - does anybody know if they value PhD and publications?
Thanks!
A fact of life: after Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says: W T F...

Helen

Post by Helen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:44 am

BenJMan wrote:I personally think Lancaster is clearly the most difficult but most worthwhile course to get on to*.

*I might be slightly biased.
This post made me smile :D

enid

Post by enid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:56 am

Thanks Lilly!

Goodness me! I don't have good A-levels, nor do I have a first. And only one publication! I have a medium 2:1 psych degree (65%), with a first class dissertation;
61% for health psych masters;
half way through a clinically relevant PhD at the IoP;
Perhaps Bath is not for me - but I love the look of the course and the health psych focus. :?
That said, I also love the look of the Bangor course, equally. I am not enamoured by the huge focus on academic record I have to say. Sigh.

turts

Post by turts » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 pm

with a PhD it sounds like you will be in a good position for Bath.

oncourse

Post by oncourse » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Bath are simply more upfront about academic requirements, which are used explicitly as for the first stage of selection.

enid

Post by enid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks!
I am very lacking in self-confidence though, which i aim to work on!

The link to the Bath points system doesn't seem to be on the site anymore though - did they take it down?
Is that a good thing? Perhaps....