Are some courses more difficult to get onto than others?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
workingmama
Team Member

Re: Are some courses more difficult to get onto than others?

Post by workingmama » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:11 pm

BenJMan wrote:I personally think Lancaster is clearly the most difficult but most worthwhile course to get on to*.

*I might be slightly biased.
Ahem, I hear that Newcastle has recently taken on a most promising trainee. :lol:
Fail, fail again, fail better.

mungle

Post by mungle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:16 pm

enid

Post by enid » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Ta. Though I can't see anything about having good a-levels giving you extra points, etc....

ILikeBrains

Post by ILikeBrains » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi,

I seem to remember something about this in the selection process document but this appears to have been taken down in preparation for the 2013 intake, hopefully the new one will be up soon.

I got BBC at A-level and had an interview at Bath, course staff said at the selection day that they anticipate that some will have outstanding A-levels and that although this helps, isn't a prerequisite for getting an interview. The group on my interview day seemed to be on the younger side and most candidates that I spoke with seemed to be studying for or had a masters, I think there was only one candidate with a PhD.

Hope this is helpful :)

enid

Post by enid » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks ilikebrains! :)
did you get on?
I am so obsessed with bangor atm that it is all i can think about :)

greenroom

Post by greenroom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Just to clear things up about Bath (I am a first year trainee and can't speak for the 2012 cohort), there are only two people in the cohort who have phDs, only a few with Masters and a mix of 2:1s and 1sts, so there is a bit of a myth doing the rounds that you need a phD to get into Bath. I think this has come from the fact that Bath have just been more explicit with their selection procedure in terms of the points system.
Greenroom x

ILikeBrains

Post by ILikeBrains » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:58 pm

You're welcome Enid :) I didn't get on but the feedback was really detailed and helpful for when I go into the fray once more!!

enid

Post by enid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:21 pm

I didn't think that you needed a PhD to get on - was just more struck that they (historically at least, from what people have said on here on super old threads) seemed to regard a first more highly than a 2:1 plus masters, and that basically A* A-levels were better than having a PhD! And that they very much took A-levels in to account when selecting.
It kind of rules me out as someone with terrible secondary education, but a 2:1, masters + PhD.
I wish I could see the points system myself though, as I am basing all this on hearsay! :)

PS. I read this thread for my info.: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11221

(That said, I have volunteered, do have a publication and did do health psych masters, so I am very confused, once again, whether or not to apply to Bath).