Birmingham 2010 Cohort

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Steph

Birmingham 2010 Cohort

Post by Steph » Fri May 21, 2010 8:43 am

OK so I've been flooding this board very recently with excited astonishment about being offered a place at Birmingham, which was my first choice by miles. So I thought I'd start a Birmingham 2010 Cohort thread for those who have accepted their place at Birmingham.

I sent my acceptance letter off yesterday. Couldn't get it in the post fast enough :oops:

Steph xx
(interviewed 22nd April)

a116

Post by a116 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Steph!

I'll be joining you at Birmingham. Got my letter this morning and was so unbelievably excited. I interviewed on the 7th May (last day) have blonde hair and was wearing a black suit with a lace green top.

A

B'hamguy09

Post by B'hamguy09 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Congrats to those accepted for the Brum 2010 cohort! Look forward to meeting you all soon. I am in the 2009 cohort...

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Sat May 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Congrats all of you! Anyone here turning down a Cov place as a result? ;)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Steph

Post by Steph » Sat May 22, 2010 5:59 pm

schizometric - I wasn't offered anything from Cov so I can't help you there, but someone I know was offered a place at Cov and Birmingham and I know she'll be accepting the latter, so that's the reserve list moving at least one more place.

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Ooh thanks for letting me know Steph. Big congrats to you btw :D

Do you have to accept Brum in writing? Just wondering what the hold up on Cov is. I'm so sick of waiting now :roll:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

carlylou79

Post by carlylou79 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 pm

:D Hi guys, could idea to start a 2010 cohort Steph - thanks! As you know I received a place too. I interviewed on 7/5 too, must have been a lucky day because it would seem quite a few got on from that day!!

I asked about start dates today as I need to start planning my departure from work. Apparently our first day of term in 4/10/2010! seems ages away but I bet it will fly! :lol:

did you all find filling out those forms ok? I wasn't sure what to squeeze in to those little boxes!!

Carlylou x

Steph

Post by Steph » Wed May 26, 2010 8:07 am

I asked about start dates today as I need to start planning my departure from work. Apparently our first day of term in 4/10/2010! seems ages away but I bet it will fly!
Oh no really? I was hoping it was going to be 27th September like most other courses? That means I have to stay a week longer at work! Going to give myself a 2 week break pre-course but can't really take any more than that. Boo :(

Apt Pseudonym

Post by Apt Pseudonym » Sat May 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi all

I also couldn't get my acceptance into the post quick enough - primarily because I couldn't believe I'd actually been offered a place!! :D

Steph - I also interviewed on 22nd. I'm the one who accidentally pushed in front of the Course Director in the lunch queue! (and then was interviewed by the same person immediately after lunch!!). I'm the person who called them from my mobile on my way there beause I thought I was going to be late and left a message which included me telling them I was talking illegally because I was driving!
Hmmm; I'm beginning to wonder if they've given me a place just for entertainment value! :lol:

Do you know when we will find out which Trust we will be placed with? I'll be moving to the area so I could do with knowing where abouts to look for accommodation.

dazy

Post by dazy » Sat May 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Hey Apt P.

So was I interviewed on the 22nd...wow..I think we were together on the dinner que, as I mistakenly took the course director as a trainee....I think that must have worked!!

Well I may be starting this year, but I have got a choice to defer as im doing this IAPT post too...still unsure

But yeh Congrats to you and Steph..xx

Apt Pseudonym

Post by Apt Pseudonym » Sat May 29, 2010 7:56 pm

LOL Dazy :D Clearly a tip for next year's interviewees; don't treat the Course Director like she's someone important or influential! lol :D

Tough decision, re deferral. I guess if you are absolutely sure that you will be on next year's course, I may suggest deferring and taking the opportunity to get all the experience/qualifications you can while you have the chance. However, if your place is not absolutely assured for next year, I'd take it up now. :)

Mandi

Dee08

Post by Dee08 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm also another lucky one who will be starting at Brum in October! I interviewed on the 7th. Can't wait to meet you all. :)

AlexB

Low 2.1

Post by AlexB » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Out of interest, do any of you have a low 2.1 in your undergrad degree? I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham in the next round of apps, but I only have a low 2.1 and I'm worried that'll prevent me from being considered.

dazy

Post by dazy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi Alex

I do have a low 2:1, however I also have a masters..sorry. From what I have heard some universities are not that bothered about having a low 2:1, some uni like sheffield and lesta dont interview those with low 2:1 so i never bothered applying to those places.

But its worth checking the uni criteria on the clearing house before you apply.
Good luck to you

Batfish

Post by Batfish » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Hiya

I didn't apply to Brum but just wanted to add that I have a very low 2:1 - literally just scraped it - but do have a masters and at the time of applying was writing up my phd. The reason I'm posting is that I got 4 interviews at Manchester, Sheffield, Plymouth and Exeter so a low 2:1 doesn't rule you our, although the extra postgrad qualifications may top it up.