Birmingham 2010 Cohort

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
schizometric

Post by schizometric » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 pm

I applied to Brum this year, with a mid 2:1 64-66, an RA post and a heavily research related AP post, and was put on the interview reserve list (mid range).

I do think, and have been told by various people, that Brum are very keen on the academic side of things, and I expect that the fact that I didnt have a masters or first or phd (!) probably let me down in terms of getting an interview with them whereas other courses weren't too fussed because they took into account my research experience.

Just my opinion. Although it's not formally stated I think the majority will have a masters! If you've got a fair whack of clinically relevant research experience too it would be worth a shot though. Don't give up hope on other courses though - I got by with just a mid 2:1 and got 3 interviews elsewhere.. just don't apply for Leics or places that specifically state you need a mid/ high 2:1
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

dazy

Post by dazy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Guys

Just wondered has anyone heard anything from brum about CRB and references etc

thanks

carlylou79

Post by carlylou79 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:26 am

hi, i've not heard anything since i sent my offer letter back. my current job has gone out to advert today.....scary!!
Carlylou :-)

a116

Post by a116 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:46 pm

dazy wrote:Hi Guys

Just wondered has anyone heard anything from brum about CRB and references etc

thanks
Hi! Just to let you know when I got home yesterday I had a load of stuff from birmingham. CRB, appointment for occupational health, consent to be taught.

And even more wonderfully, pictures of everyone!!!

So, if you haven't had it yet i'm sure it won't be long.

A

dazy

Post by dazy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 am

Just got it..thanks...

well hopefully will see you all soon...

Apt Pseudonym

Post by Apt Pseudonym » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:45 pm

On the photo sheet, i'm the woman who looks just awful!! :o

Please tell me they don't use these photos for our ID card - mine is dreadful! I'm sure (I hope!!!) i don't have bags under my eyes quite as bad as my picture suggests!! :(

I hope we find out soon where we will be placed - i'd like to start looking into where to live.

Bella

Post by Bella » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Don't worry - at the start of the coure they take your photo again and that's the one they use throughout training! :D

carlylou79

Post by carlylou79 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:55 pm

My photo is horrible too!!! really funny to see everyone's ugly mugs!! not long now guys....isn't it funny how quiet it's gone on all the forums now!
Carly

a116

Post by a116 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 am

Hi All,

Just had the details of my employing trust and foundation placement. Exciting times!

I was just wondering, does anyone know what the rules are for claiming petrol/travel etc? I'm pretty sure they said it was

base to placement minus home to base.

But the letter seems to suggest it's actually

base to placement.

Anyone know? Financial planning is not my strong point.

Also, can we claim for travel to Uni??

Thanks!

Bella

Post by Bella » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Home to your employing trust base is your normal milage (you can't claim for). Anything you do over that is what you claim for.

carlylou79

Post by carlylou79 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:58 pm

Not too long now everyone!!!! As predicted it's come round really quickly. Is everyone going to one of teh pre-course get togethers?
Carls x

dazy

Post by dazy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 pm

It sure has, Im going to come along on the Sunday the 3rd Oct at 2pm for a drink......just wondered anyone had any information about how to enrol at the uni?

Steph

Post by Steph » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:29 am

Yep I'll be going to the social on the Sunday too! Looking forward to meeting some of you.

I contacted one of the admin staff about registration packs as I was getting a bit concerned about not receiving it. She said the clin psy department still hasn't had everyone's CRB forms back, and this is causing the hold up (I thought this is such a long time as everyone had a deadline to send them off by some time in June and I received mine about 5/6 weeks ago now). When they receive everything they need, they will forward our information to the admissions department, who will send out the information we need to register. Most of it seems to be online now, so should be relatively easy (she says!) :D

Apt Pseudonym

Post by Apt Pseudonym » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Steph wrote: I contacted one of the admin staff about registration packs as I was getting a bit concerned about not receiving it. She said the clin psy department still hasn't had everyone's CRB forms back, and this is causing the hold up (I thought this is such a long time as everyone had a deadline to send them off by some time in June and I received mine about 5/6 weeks ago now). When they receive everything they need, they will forward our information to the admissions department, who will send out the information we need to register. Most of it seems to be online now, so should be relatively easy (she says!) :D
Thanks for posting this Steph - i was just about to ask if other people had received registration info since i've not received anything. I called B'ham and it appears that there has been a flood in Frankland Building and the whole building is closed - it sounds like it is causing quite considerable disruption so i'm not sure if this will also affect admin.

Is anyone else on here going to be based in The Black Country? I'll be in Walsall (I'm moving house next week!). I'll be going to Dudley on 8th Oct to complete paperwork for the employing Trust - if anyone here is going too do you fancy going for coffee when we've finished?

a116

Post by a116 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:55 am

Have you heard from Dudley about what time you're going? I'm based in Birmingham and Solihull and whilst I know my employing trust, I don't know what time I'm meant to be going on the Friday...Maybe next week I'll try getting hold of them.
A
ps-horrible news about the flooding!