Psychological therapy in primary care OR

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
SamXO

Psychological therapy in primary care OR

Post by SamXO » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Hello,
I come to you all today with a rather stressful dilemma. I graduated with a 2:1 in psychology last year and i've been working as a support worker since. Ive recently gained employment as a support worker in the NHS however come Sept I plan on applying for a MSc just because I feel like I need to improve my research skills etc. The two MSc programmes i've applied for are 'Foundation of clinical psychology' and 'psychology of mental health' I know these will be good for me If I get on however.. HOWEVER recently I started researching the 'Psychological therapy in primary care' and honestly this MSc seems like its just perfect. Obviously its funded by the NHS and I can qualify as a CAAP etc. And I only have to study 2 and a half years on the DClinPsy if I have this MSc.
Its just, I won't find out if I have got onto that until i've started my Sept MSc (if I get onto that obviously!)- I believe interviews for the PTPC are in Dec. IFFF I do get a place ill be months into my Sept MSc and it'll be too late to change. On the other hand, I can't wait to find out if i've got onto the Jan MSc and lose my opportunity to get onto the Sept MSc program. SOOO I hope you all understand the pickle i'm in, any help/advice would be very very very much appreciated!!

Sam

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
BlueCat
Site Admin

Re: Psychological therapy in primary care OR

Post by BlueCat » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Hey Sam

What bit of this are you after advice with? I guess there's lots of "received wisdom" sayings that could apply here:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
Don't count your eggs before they've hatched

etc

You are highly likely to get a place on either one of the self-funding masters courses. Whether or not this will strengthen your application for clinical psychology depends on what your academic profile is like presently. In general, a master's by research (MRes) is the way to go to demonstrate research skills. A taught masters, such as the two you highlight, will bolster your general academic profile if it is otherwise weak, but won't have the same clout in the research part fo your application (unless you publish)

I'm not in Scotland, so I don't know an awful lot about the Primary Care landscape up there. However, I am led to believe that those courses are HIGHLY competitive, as they are funded and provide a professional qualification which leads to a well paid professional career. I would think it is much less likely that you (or anyone, not particularly you personally) would get a place on such a highly sought after, funded, professional qualification, as compared with a self-funded masters that does not lead to a professional qualification and career.

If you've got a mid/high 2:1 or first, and the aim of gaining a place on clinical training, I would wonder whether a masters is the best next step for you? I'd maybe concentrate on gaining clinical experience - you've been graduated for about five months now, and sound like you are gathering appropriate experience to begin to be a contender for assistant psychologist posts (you'll crack the six month experience mark soon). You'll probably stand a better chance in the specialties in which you have support worker experience, or in the private sector (where there are many many less applicants for assistant psychologist posts). If research is an area of weakness that you feel you need to focus on, then maybe research assistant posts (voluntary if necessary, paid if possible) would help you with this?

I don't wish to take the wind out of your sails, but a taught masters will not add as much as any of these posts to your portfolio if you already have a good 2:1 or first.

Has that helped, or made it all the more confusing?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Eriya

Post by Eriya » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi there. I've done the MSc Psychological Therapies in Primary Care, so you can PM me if you have any questions. The interviews for this are actually in October, and the course then starts in January. This course is highly competitive, as has been mentioned, and you do need some relevant experience (as you would when applying for the doctorate). Is it possible to leave the taught masters courses after a few months with a certificate or diploma? At least that way you could start the taught masters and wouldn't have to worry too much about missing out if you don't get on the MSc. Hope this helps, but like I said, feel free to PM me - I might just take a while to reply, as I'm not usually logged in here.

SamXO

Post by SamXO » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:42 am

[quote="BlueCat"]Hey Sam

What bit of this are you after advice with? I guess there's lots of "received wisdom" sayings that could apply here:

Hello Blue Cat and thank you for your response. As you mentioned I didn't specify any advice I was after. TBH I just wanted advice on my general situation. I COULD have gone to a friend or careers advisor but I reckoned it was most useful for me to just throw the question on here and see what everyone says and whether that provides me with some clarity. You response has been very helpful thank you, its given me A LOT of food for thought. And why a MSc you ask? its really just to gain more research skills and so far ive been unsuccessful with AP posts and I know they're competitive so I considered this to be a good way to get some relevant experience!
Thanks once again,

Sam