Masters advice: clinical mental health sciences vs health psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
doodlepug

Masters advice: clinical mental health sciences vs health psychology

Post by doodlepug » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi guys, I am in desperate need of some advice. I am in the last year of my undergraduate degree (I study part-time with the Open university) and I am currently researching MSc programmes. I am trying to decide whether to apply for the MSc Clinical Mental Health Sciences at UCL and the kings equivalent however the lack of accreditation from the BPS worries me, is an accredited MSc needed to get onto a DClinPsy course? Would I be better off applying for a MSc Health psychology programme instead or would this not be relevant to DclinPsy?.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Masters advice: clinical mental health sciences vs health psychology

Post by miriam » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Why do you want to do an MSc? What mark are you expecting in your undergrad?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

doodlepug

Post by doodlepug » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:32 pm

Hi thank you for your reply, sorry for the delay in responding. Im expecting at least a 2:1, I am studying via distance learning and I feel that a Masters will increase my confidence levels. I also think that the placements will give me some experience, I currently work part-time with children and young people with learning disabilities and I think the placements will give me a 'varied' experience.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Well, that's a reasonable rationale for a masters. But a lot will rest on the mark you get in your undergrad, within that broad 2:1 category, so make sure to get the very best grades you can.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com