Where did you do your Psychology degree?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
sarahg

Re: Where did you do your Psychology degree?

Post by sarahg »

Nottingham Trent University :)

I'll admit first I was almost ashamed of going to an ex-poly, especially as I was fortunate enough to go to a private school and they looked very disapprovingly on going to an ex-poly - and all my friends went to a redbrick uni. But now I am really happy with the university and course, and as someone mentioned earlier about ex-poly lecturers give you more time, it really does feel that here - and the support is excellent :D
Posie

Post by Posie »

Did my BA in English Lit at Nottingham Uni. Did my MA in social work at Leicester Uni. Just completed my conversion dilpoma in psychology with the Open Uni. What can I say, I like variety :wink:

Time will tell if I actually get on the DClinPsy, but if I do, it'll be Sheffield Uni.
littleitaly

Post by littleitaly »

Did my undergraduate degree at Stirling University - the degree was really good. Had experience of Edinburgh University too (supposed to be one of the best in the UK) and it was awful!
CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair »

I did my psych BSc with the Open University, and am doing my MSc there too. In my pre-psychology life I went to Glagow Uni (MA in philosophy) and Dundee Uni (MPhil in philosophy).

Each have had different things going for them, redbricks are great for talking to other students/academic staff directly (and a good social life), but studying with the OU has enabled me to work full time, study and change career which I couldn't have done any other way really.
Shazzy

Post by Shazzy »

University of Birmingham.
bicycleclips

Post by bicycleclips »

In my last year of conversion degree at OU, love it. It's Social Psych module is from the critical psychology camp and is a great grounding in Foucault and social constructionism.
You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones
Tilly25

Post by Tilly25 »

I’m so surprised by how many replies this thread has received but in a good way.
psychtob

Post by psychtob »

Im doing my Psychology Cert. with Staffordshire Uni.
Will be applying to Uni of Hertfordshire to do conversion MSc nxt year.

In my pre-psychology life i did BSc Biomedical Science with greenwich university and MSc Medical Microbiology with London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.

I dont think the university you do Psychology with matters as long as they have GBC.
One day my heart's desire will become a reality

CURRENT: Psychology Cert. 2012-13 Uni of Staffordshire
SuviH

Post by SuviH »

I did my BSocSci Honours in Psychology at the University of Cape Town, South Africa. BPS has just confirmed my GBC status. Step 1 - check! UCT students - get in touch, would be great to swap stories!
enid

Post by enid »

just looking wrote:Goldsmiths College. Woop woop!
Ditto - though I am nowhere near to even applying for training let alone getting on. If I were to answer what aspects might positively influence a clinical application progress, I would imagine their really strong focus and training on/in research design and statistics. But my path since then would probably give more weight, like MSc at UCL/KCL, though I think being an accomplished enough researcher to get funding for post-grad study is thanks to my initial training at Goldsmiths. I guess for it to have an impact you have to sell your strengths as developed through your degree programme, in the applic form and at interview.
appel42

Post by appel42 »

Still doing my degree at University of .... Kent!

Havent actually seen anyone in this forum from Kent, even though they offer a BSc Psychology with Clinical Psychology (which I am on) and if you look in the right places, there are a few CPs around, where you can do voluntary research work during the BSc (if you ask). Although the main Psychology Department has a rather social psych focus. I am so grateful, I chose this Uni :)
srlb2

Re: Re: Where did you do your Psychology degree?

Post by srlb2 »

appel42 wrote:Still doing my degree at University of .... Kent!

Havent actually seen anyone in this forum from Kent, even though they offer a BSc Psychology with Clinical Psychology (which I am on) and if you look in the right places, there are a few CPs around, where you can do voluntary research work during the BSc (if you ask). Although the main Psychology Department has a rather social psych focus. I am so grateful, I chose this Uni :)
I did my degree at Kent too - I graduated this year although I didn't do the clinical degree. I did do a clinical placement though :-)

There's one other person from Kent on here that I know of too! So there's a couple of us atleast :grin:
sar302

Post by sar302 »

BA English Lit - Southampton
PG Cert Psych - Insitute of Education
EYPS - Bath Spa
MEd Psych of Education Conversion - Bristol

Haven't decided where to apply for Doctorate yet.

Aiming to make it to a full decade in higher education. :D Oxford are doing some training in Transactional Analysis which looks really interesting... but that would only be a term... would still be short of my goal...
Never assume that the other fellow has the intelligence to match yours... he may have more...