Cognitive Neuroscience at Sussex

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
johnsmith61089

Cognitive Neuroscience at Sussex

Post by johnsmith61089 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Does anyone have any useful information about the MSc Cognitive Neuroscience at Sussex? Thinking about doing this after my undergrad and wondering if the course and department are any good?

Also would it help much with the clinical psychology application? I am expecting a 1st for my BSc Psychology, but thinking about taking this course next year because I think I would really enjoy it. Not 100% sure on clinical yet, but hoping it would help (esp. RA posts) if I decide to follow that route.

Thanks

ler28

Re: Cognitive Neuroscience at Sussex

Post by ler28 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:47 am

I don't know if it would help you in psychology, but I did my first degree at Sussex in Neuroscience and it was excellent! They have brilliant resources, a really expert range of tutors and great teaching. I'd really recommend them for studying neuroscience

Hope that helps in any way.

johnsmith61089

Post by johnsmith61089 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:21 pm

ler28 wrote:I don't know if it would help you in psychology, but I did my first degree at Sussex in Neuroscience and it was excellent! They have brilliant resources, a really expert range of tutors and great teaching. I'd really recommend them for studying neuroscience

Hope that helps in any way.
Thanks very much. It's good to know. I think I am going to continue to look for clinically relevent jobs, but if I have no luck then I might do the masters.

Anyone else have an opinion on it's relevence to clinical psychology?

Thanks

ILikeBrains

Post by ILikeBrains » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi,

My MSc project was supervised by a former tutor on this program (no longer there but still a visiting lecturer I believe).

One thing I have found very challenging during the application/interview process for the DClin is explaining succinctly why I was interested in focussing on some very complex theoretical cognitive psych (unfortunately not particularly successfully!). However, I think that as long as you can think about how your research could be clinically relevant/applied and the implications from studying particular areas of processing (e.g. adding to the evidence base for processes that might be involved in attentional biases implicated in psychopathology) then perhaps you might get more out of studying something you are really interested in with (in my experience at least) high quality supervision for your project.

As previously posted, the equipment and teaching are great and I believe you can do a module in fMRI techniques as part of this course if your interests are in that field.

Hope this is helpful!

ILB