The best thing to do after psychology conversion degree?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
oyinbopepper

The best thing to do after psychology conversion degree?

Post by oyinbopepper » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Currently I got accepted to do a conversion psychology msc degree. I was wondering whether it is better to do a MSc clinical relevant psychology degree or get experience like clinical relevant jobs/volunteering after the conversion MSc course before I apply for a doctorate post.

Any suggestions?

Laura86

Re: The best thing to do after psychology conversion degree?

Post by Laura86 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi oyinbopepper,

Congrats on getting a place! These threads might be helpful to have a look at:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1747

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10391

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=449

There's also a search function, if you haven't already looked I think there are quite a few other posts with a similar question.

Laura
This - is now my way - where is yours? Thus did I answer those who asked me 'the way'. For the way - it doth not exist. Friedrich Nietzsche

ILikeBrains

Post by ILikeBrains » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi Oyinbopepper,

Well done on getting your place :) I did a conversion MSc but had worked in a mental health setting for a little while before starting. These courses are generally pretty full on. Planning for afterwards is definitely worth thinking about but if you have a research component to your degree then perhaps have a think about any clinically relevant areas that you might potentially want to do your project in/are interested in and who might be able to supervise this. I ended up doing something that I was really interested in and have been able to apply to a clinical setting but it took a little imagination!!! I don't know where you are doing your course but the research component was a large part of mine, so finding a balance between something I enjoyed, that had some clinical relevance and had a good supervisor was something of a challenge.

Although demanding, I loved my conversion (well most of the time anyway) and I hope you enjoy your course :)

Redrose

Post by Redrose » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:14 am

Hi, I'm doing a masters part time at present at the same time as working. I think it is helpful to be working at the same time as studying as it helps to apply what you learn to practice, it makes it more meaningful. But it is quite tough.