Advice on someone with no clinical experience!

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
mr_tippy

Re: Advice on someone with no clinical experience!

Post by mr_tippy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 am

Oh fair enough, and thanks for the clarification. I didn't want you to think I was being personal.

It would be to the poverty of this forum and detriment to the aspiring members if qualified clinicians did not give straightforward advice and basically lied to members by giving unrealistic, uniform encouragement. Ultimately I think the forum is bound to attract anxiety produced posters that give the impression of asking for advice but just want approval.

You're right that the theme has definitely surfaced in some other threads, and I think for the most part the reflective posts that often lead from this have some value, but maybe in terms of forum guidelines/etiquette it might be a point of courtesy and clarity to signal this when posting, "Don't feel the need to respond directly unless you want to, but I wonder..." as phrased clumsily and/or coming from multiple posters in a curiosity cascade :lol: it sounds like a diagnostic or accusative approach.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Mudisco

Post by Mudisco » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 pm

So...five years, five years and six months later from this post and I made it! I considered being a HI CBT therapist or couple psychodynamic psychotherapist, and then I decided on doing the counseling doctorate if the clinical did not work out for me. This was going to be my second to last year and I am glad I didn't give up.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:00 am

That's awesome news, Mudisco! Congratulations!

If you feel comfortable sharing, it would be great to know what you managed to do since the OP in order to be successful in gaining a training place. Whether you post that here or in the experiences before training thread, I'm sure it would be interesting reading, and encourage others who didn't get the degree mark they were hoping for.

It would also be interesting to hear whether looking back this discussion was something that had constructive impact or not. I can feel the discomfort reading back over the discussion, and I think the same tension is still present on the forum so it would be useful to learn from your experience.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Mudisco

Post by Mudisco » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:05 am

miriam wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:00 am
That's awesome news, Mudisco! Congratulations!

If you feel comfortable sharing, it would be great to know what you managed to do since the OP in order to be successful in gaining a training place. Whether you post that here or in the experiences before training thread, I'm sure it would be interesting reading, and encourage others who didn't get the degree mark they were hoping for.

It would also be interesting to hear whether looking back this discussion was something that had constructive impact or not. I can feel the discomfort reading back over the discussion, and I think the same tension is still present on the forum so it would be useful to learn from your experience.
Thank you, Mariam! It is hard when you have low self-confidence yet wanting to do something really bad at the same time. What I did was to decipher what aspects of being a clinical psychologist I liked (helping and caring for others psychologically, service evaluation and improvement, leadership/consultancy, and research) and then tried to think of other roles that had those aspects as well. So I got to options such as training as a psychoanalyst or psychotherapist with a PhD or the counselling psychology doctorate. This made me much less anxious because I had an idea of where to go from here if the clinical route did not work out.

I did an unhealthy thing of looking at LinkedIn of both qualified and trainee CPs and saw that 80% to 90% of them had a first in their undergrad and/or masters. It just dawned on me that is was very likely that I would never ever get on the course. However, it made me also realise how being a CP was what I wanted deep down. Practicing CFT and ACT techniques was life-changing and made me accept the reality of the situation, and that despite my poor academic history, I did the best I could and that I was so much more than the way in which I met my values (helping others and being a facilitator of transformation, and research). So I worked on my self-esteem and self-confidence and reflected that I tended to see things very black and white (funny reading that back!), and tended to see the negative of things and worry a lot. It was my new year's resolution to work on those traits, and changing my mindset had the biggest impact.

What was different about this year compared to other years was how calm and relaxed I was. In other years when I applied, I was too anxious or over-eager. I was also in a support group of BME aspiring and trainee CPs who were so supportive of my journey and gave me some interview tips. I also did some mock interviews with them as well. There were also some friends who got on previous years that helped as well. One of the biggest support systems was the widening access scheme in helping BME individuals entering the doctorate. I was assigned a third-year trainee and a qualified CP who were so supportive as well.

In summary, I had to dissect entering the doctorate and wanted to use every avenue that I could before telling myself that I did my best and move on to something else, whilst having the faith that everything would work out well.

I have grown significantly from the OP but I found it uncomfortable and a bit distressing reading back over the thread. However, in a way, it was great seeing how far I have come and how much obstacles I had overcome thus far.

Was the discussion/thread constructive? Yes. The reality is that the competition is feverishly fierce in getting on and it was good for people to point out the things I was failing to accept, such as the likelihood of getting on given my grades and experience. Back then I did not entirely understand but reading over the thread now, I see it with new eyes! Overall, I took on board with doing the best I could do with my masters and gaining NHS clinical experience as a PWP.

What one can learn from my experience is that getting on the course is still possible if you did not get the grade that you hoped for. With perseverance, determination, insight, unconditional self-regard and self-care, almost anything is possible.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:22 pm

I am glad to hear it worked out for you, and also that you came back here to tell us. Sounds like quite a journey.

It is heartening to hear about the BME support group helping you. I can see how that could be a major source of support, and wish there were more of them around at all levels of the profession.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 am

Well done Mudisco! A happy ending. Good luck for training, please keep us posted on how it's going.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am

Mudisco wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:05 am
I have grown significantly from the OP but I found it uncomfortable and a bit distressing reading back over the thread. However, in a way, it was great seeing how far I have come and how much obstacles I had overcome thus far.

Was the discussion/thread constructive? Yes. The reality is that the competition is feverishly fierce in getting on and it was good for people to point out the things I was failing to accept, such as the likelihood of getting on given my grades and experience. Back then I did not entirely understand but reading over the thread now, I see it with new eyes! Overall, I took on board with doing the best I could do with my masters and gaining NHS clinical experience as a PWP.

What one can learn from my experience is that getting on the course is still possible if you did not get the grade that you hoped for. With perseverance, determination, insight, unconditional self-regard and self-care, almost anything is possible.
Thanks for sharing your journey, it sounds like you showed a lot of tenacity and were able to address all the issues that we raised, and it is great that you were able to find appropriate support systems. I think there are lots of useful things that other applicants can take from your journey.

It is also helpful to read that our uncomfortable advice did serve a constructive purpose, as that is a very tricky line to get right as a qualified CP and someone running this forum. Sometimes people want just empathy and encouragement and the type of feedback we give is not what they expected and can seem harsh, but I try to be really honest with people and to help them explore what the barriers to their goals might be and how to keep the job in perspective.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com