MA Nursing (Mental Health) at Salford University

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
ladylarna

MA Nursing (Mental Health) at Salford University

Post by ladylarna » Thu May 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Hello,

I was just wondering (I apologise if theres already been a topic on this but I couldnt find one!) if
anybody knew anything about this course and whether its possible to do it in 2 years instead of
3 with a Psychology Undergrad degree?
Also I was wondering if it made any difference that its a Master of Arts degree and not a MSc? Because
Ive been looking at the other mental health nursing courses and they're all MSc's! I've heard that it doesn't
make a difference but I'm not so sure. I'm skeptical as to whether it focuses less on the scientific aspects
of mental health nursing than other course in the UK. However I live near Manchester & don't want to move
so this is the only available option to me at the moment so I'm confused as to what to do.

Any advice at all would be great!

Thanks

Ladylarna

lingua_franca

Re: MA Nursing (Mental Health) at Salford University

Post by lingua_franca » Sun May 11, 2014 8:36 pm

All nursing degrees are obliged to cover the same content to meet the accreditation requirements. It makes no difference what it's called, so I wouldn't think too much about the name - you will be eligible for registration as a nurse when you graduate, and that's what matters. :)

You'd need to ask the university, but I doubt that having a psychology degree would enable you to take a shorter course. I know some people who have gone into nursing with first degrees in psychology, biomedical science, and in one case radiography. None of them were able to cut corners, as the curriculum is specifically tailored to nursing from the very start and you also have to have a certain number of placement hours. But perhaps some places are more flexible? It wouldn't hurt to e-mail and ask.

I think Manchester would be a great place to train, by the way. I've worked as a HCA across a few local hospitals for two years now and I've had an overwhelmingly positive experience. But if you want another option, UCLAN also offers nursing training at undergrad level, and as the course is the same length as the Salford MA, you might want to look into that too.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Loula

Post by Loula » Mon May 12, 2014 4:43 pm

lingua_franca wrote:I think Manchester would be a great place to train, by the way. I've worked as a HCA across a few local hospitals for two years now and I've had an overwhelmingly positive experience. But if you want another option, UCLAN also offers nursing training at undergrad level, and as the course is the same length as the Salford MA, you might want to look into that too.
There's a few others in the area too. I've worked with nurses who have trained at Edge Hill (in Ormskirk) and Chester

Mya

Post by Mya » Mon May 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello ladylarna,

I have a friend currently in her second year on this course and she is still having to do 3 years evn though she too has an undergraduate psychology degree. She is really enjoying the course though and is always saying how quick the time has flown since she started :) and i far as it seems they cover everything that is expected to register as an RMN upon qualifying
If you have any specific questions about the course i could ask her and get back to you :)
M x

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 am

At one point I looked at studying nursing down in London and I was eligible to do a two year very intensive course with a psychology degree this was just one of the universities I looked at - http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgradu ... te-diploma