Chosen to do psychology but still have doubts

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
neurogirl17

Chosen to do psychology but still have doubts

Post by neurogirl17 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:27 am

Hello i have chosen to do a psychology degree at university. My top choices is The Birmingham university and The university of Liverpool. But i keep on hearing stories about how there are no jobs in psychology because it is an oversubscribed course, how the job market is racist, how i will probably end up choosing another career path. This scares me because i have ambitions to have a good job and though i know it takes time to become a qualified psychologist, i am just worried i will never get to be one. I have also been told to do a joint honors with it, is this a good idea.

Please if anyone can help me to stop feeling like i have made the most biggest mistake, please reply.

Spatch

Re: Chosen to do psychology but still have doubts

Post by Spatch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 am

Wrote a lengthy post about this that was erased.
But i keep on hearing stories about how there are no jobs in psychology because it is an oversubscribed course, how the job market is racist, how i will probably end up choosing another career path. This scares me because i have ambitions to have a good job and though i know it takes time to become a qualified psychologist, i am just worried i will never get to be one. I have also been told to do a joint honors with it, is this a good idea.
While clinical psychology is oversubscribed, a psychology degree is fairly employable overall. (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/f ... ob-options). Although it's not a sure thing like nursing or OT, it's not an automatic conveyer belt to the dole queue.

Also, as you go on and gather experience you may find out that clinical psychology isn't necessarily the best route for you, and there is no shame in changing your mind and finding something better. Clinical Psychology is a broad field and there are many way to tap into an area of interest. If you are ambitious and bright, it may take a little time but you will most likely find something fulfilling. If I was to think about some of the people on my undergrad who initially started out with clinical in mind but switched it ranges from medicine, running a company, science writing, journalism and management consultancy -all of which I would regard as "a good job".
Please if anyone can help me to stop feeling like i have made the most biggest mistake, please reply.
Even though I am coming up to 8 years post qualified, I still felt like that this week. It never really goes away but we can get more comfortable with ambiguity. While it's natural that people want reassurance and seek safety, especially early on, in my experience you can learn the most from making mistakes and that no one can live up to their full potential if they never take measured risk.

If you always go for the "safe" option, it's probably not going to be the most fulfilling life you could lead, and I don't know many people whose life has been ruined just by taking psychology.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

purpledot

Post by purpledot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:51 pm

Just to add quickly, that if you're planning on doing a joint honours degree, don't forget to check if your course still gives you GBC (Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership with BPS) as not all joint honours offer this, and you would need GBC if you wanted to persue further training in Psychology, e.g. as a Clinical/Forensic/Counselling Psychologist etc.

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Whilst it is good to think ahead, please don't worry.

The most important thing is to pick a degree that you will enjoy. This will help you get the best grade you can, which ultimately will then impact on your employment after your degree.

You have four years until you complete your undergraduate degree, and a lot can change regarding the employment market in that time. Not only that, but your aspirations for future careers will also change.

jyddx

Post by jyddx » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi Neurogirl! :)

I'm in the 3rd (and final :( ) year of my psychology degree. While I'm not at Birmingham, I did apply there, and the uni I'm at now is similar-ish in terms of entry requirements/rankings if that's important.

I felt a bit like you before I started in that I was really worried about the career prospects and whether it was the right course for me. I'm more than happy to chat to you about my experiences of an undergrad psychology degree if you like -- either hit me with some questions here or I'm happy for you to PM me if you'd rather. There's actually so many career options, and even branches of psycholoy, that I never knew existed before I started.

I know most people on the forum will have done a psychology degree at some point, but I thought it might be useful to offer my ears to ya as it wasn't that long ago I was having a bit of a panic about these things too!

xx

confuseddotcom

Post by confuseddotcom » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:02 pm

neurogirl17 wrote:Hello i have chosen to do a psychology degree at university. My top choices is The Birmingham university and The university of Liverpool. But i keep on hearing stories about how there are no jobs in psychology because it is an oversubscribed course, how the job market is racist, how i will probably end up choosing another career path. This scares me because i have ambitions to have a good job and though i know it takes time to become a qualified psychologist, i am just worried i will never get to be one. I have also been told to do a joint honors with it, is this a good idea.

Hello :) firstly you can continue with this degree for now and decide after graduation. I would recommend doing a placement year if possible because of the experience and to get an idea of the areas you could work in. My placement confirmed to me that I wanted to work in this field. Also to reassure you I don't think that there is any racism at play. Well I've never experienced any (being an Indian). But yes the field is competitive at every stage; from getting an assistant psychologist post to getting on the doctorate course. It can also be a lengthy process but you already know this. It can test your patience and determination at times but we get to have so many interesting roles and we get a real taste of the career. It really depends on whether you want and enjoy such a career. But then again as many point out, you can change your mind at any point. I have friends who completed the degree and moved onto teaching or HR roles. So it's something to think about but maybe not to worry too much about. Also about the joint degree; you may need a conversion course (which is another year after graduating) if you chose this path. But yes hope that helps! X