HCPC registration for non UK

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Butterfly

HCPC registration for non UK

Post by Butterfly » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Hello all,

I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with HCPC registration having qualified outside the UK.
I am interested to find experiences about taking the aptitude test vs undertaking the adaptation period.

Can you please share your experiences as I am about to start this process and not sure what would be the best.

Thank you :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Opentoideas

Re: HCPC registration for non UK

Post by Opentoideas » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Hello Butterfly,

I myself, have been going through the arduous process of registering with the HCPC this year and I feel it is my civic duty to assist others who are trying to do the same. The process is fraught with challenges, the first being that it is so difficult to figure out the right way to go about things. From my understanding you submit your application - it is not your choice whether you do an aptitude test vs an adaptation period, it all depends on the outcome of your application. So how it works is once you have submitted your application (which will take you a few months at least to put together and another month because in all likelihood they will return it as incomplete) and they accept your application you wait for a response from them (which takes around 3 - 4 months) which could be any of the following:
1. application approved :D
2. application denied :cry:
3. application approval pending.... :shock: in this case they will ask you to do any of the following:
- sit an examination
- complete additional placements in areas they feel you are lacking experience
- or possibly something else that they feel is necessary in order to bring your training up to their standards

Out of interest in which country have you done your training? If you have any more questions I would be happy to try and help you. As I said I found the whole process really tough and an exercise in perserverance! Good luck!!!!!

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:23 pm

laurenst wrote:Hello Butterfly,

I myself, have been going through the arduous process of registering with the HCPC this year and I feel it is my civic duty to assist others who are trying to do the same. The process is fraught with challenges, the first being that it is so difficult to figure out the right way to go about things. From my understanding you submit your application - it is not your choice whether you do an aptitude test vs an adaptation period, it all depends on the outcome of your application. So how it works is once you have submitted your application (which will take you a few months at least to put together and another month because in all likelihood they will return it as incomplete) and they accept your application you wait for a response from them (which takes around 3 - 4 months) which could be any of the following:
1. application approved :D
2. application denied :cry:
3. application approval pending.... :shock: in this case they will ask you to do any of the following:
- sit an examination
- complete additional placements in areas they feel you are lacking experience
- or possibly something else that they feel is necessary in order to bring your training up to their standards

Out of interest in which country have you done your training? If you have any more questions I would be happy to try and help you. As I said I found the whole process really tough and an exercise in perserverance! Good luck!!!!!

Thank you very much for your reply. I am glad you feel my angst! Suddenly feeling less lonely. I am from an EU country.
I have actually got as far as having submitted my application and now I am given information on undertaking placements and given the option to do a competence test instead. Have you completed the process? Are you registered now?

Opentoideas

Post by Opentoideas » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi,

No I am not yet registered. I have submitted my application and I am waiting to hear back from them but at least I have a job in the meantime. What are you planning to do the competency test or additional placements? What areas are they wanting you to do the placements in?

I also felt very alone in the beginning and very frustrated because it was so difficult to find any people who had gone through the process. That is why I feel I'd like to try and help anyone who is trying to get registered. :D

FilipaN

Post by FilipaN » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:36 pm

Hello laurenst and Butterfly

I'm glad I've found you both! I can agree how excruciating is the application processes! I have found two other people who had applied as well for HCPC. In my case, I'm still writing my application and I haven't sent it yet but I intent to do it by the end of the month. I managed to work in something else but is kind of frustrating. I would love to share some thoughts with you both by private message. Actually I think I have sent one to Butterfly already, did you received?
Anyway fell free to PM!

Good luck for both x

ola

Post by ola » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:39 pm

Hello :) I graduated years ago and after focusing on family for the last 5 yearsI have decided to apply for Msc to refresh my knowledge. I thought in the past about applying for registration but found the info on the website very confusing. How did you get the application form?

Opentoideas

Post by Opentoideas » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi Ola,

The application pack is available on the HCPC website under the international applicants page.

Regards,
Lauren

ola

Post by ola » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Thank you. I didn't look at their website for few years now. It's quite clear what I need to do, few years ago it was all very confusing and disorganised.

Opentoideas

Post by Opentoideas » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:33 pm

No problem,

Glad to hear that it's more organised now, although I don't think that's made it an easier. It has been been an incredibly difficult process and you have to have a huge amount of time and perseverance to attempt it so good luck :)

Regards,
Lauren

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:57 pm

I wanted to say that I am now registered with HCPC. I can say that the process can be long and stressful and needs a lot of patience.
But I am now proud to be registered :)

Opentoideas

Post by Opentoideas » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi butterfly,

I just wanted to congratulate you on getting registered!! Well done! That is really exciting, I'm sure you must be thrilled :D :D :D

All the best,
Lauren

Apelikan

Post by Apelikan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi,
Wow, it's really good to find other people going or having gone through this HCPC process! I've been feeling pretty alone in this... Congratulations to those who have made it through!
I did my training in France and I've now moved to Scotland. I did my application with the HCPC both for clinical and counselling psychologist (because I wasn't sure which was closest to my original training), but they have treated it as 2 separate requests and now having finally heard back, they have given me 2 adaptation periods to do. I'm actually pretty happy with that as it gives me a chance, but my main issue has been finding placements to do. I contacted my local university with a clinical psychology doctorate programme, but they told me that unless I was doing their course they couldn't help me with placements. But from what I've seen a lot of the clinical placements for psychologists seem to be done in link with universities or training programs and difficult to access as an outsider? So I haven't been sure of the best way to approach this. Do any of you have any advice? I would really appreciate any tips or just hearing about your experience of this process.
Thank you and happy new year :)

huwtube

Post by huwtube » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:55 am

Hi Apelikan,

I was browsing this page because I may find myself in a similar position soon. If I were you I would contact NHS psychologists located in clinical departments relevant to the placements you need to do. When I worked in one I was under the supervision of a very sweet psychologist who had, I think, done it for someone. Such a clinician might be able to offer you a voluntary placement on a local basis.
Have the HCPC given you a list of specific placements you need to do?
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.

Apelikan

Post by Apelikan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Huwtube,

Thanks for your reply and advice. Yes, I need to do 3 60 day placements, one with Adults, one with Children and one with Older Adults or learning difficulties. So it might take a while! I've actually now been in contact with a psychologist and hopefully, that will lead to something good :).

Did you study abroad as well ?

huwtube

Post by huwtube » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi Apelikan,

Yes, I am finishing up my PhD in the US. I have a postdoctoral position lined up this next academic year, but in 2018 my wife will take up a job in the UK and we will move back, so I want to become chartered in the UK to continue my career. How easy has it been for you to find placements?
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.