Advice please: 2.2 and worries about conversion courses

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
NaomiG

Advice please: 2.2 and worries about conversion courses

Post by NaomiG » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Any input would be welcomed please:
I completed an Open University degree in 2015 during which i covered a bit of psychology. I got a 2:2 which i was disappointed with; i felt i let myself down. I suffered a minor head injury last year which i think affected my performance; the OU took this into consideration but to no avail. I then applied to Nottingham University for the PG Dip conversion course (couldn't apply for the MSc since i don't have a 2:1). It was a conditional offer because i had to complete a 60 credit graduate certificate in psyh which i did successfully. It seems if i want to apply for a clin psyh doctorate afterwards i would need a distinction.

I'm suffering with afew mental health problems at the moment and i don't know if i can complete this course with a view to getting a distinction the way i feel now. According to the Nottingham uni website i cannot defer entry. I just feel i need afew months to sort my head out and recover from the crisis i'm going through right now but ofcourse term starts next month. I see Coventry do a distance learning MSc starting in Jan which i could apply for, that is part time i believe. I just thought Nottingham would be such a great experience academically because its a Russell group university and has a high research component etc etc. If i could do it part-time then perfect but unfortunately it is only offered full-time.

Is it the calibre of the university that is important or the classification of the Masters do you think?

I appreciate i have rambled terribly here - a reflection of my anxious mind. I have PM'ed afew people on this forum aswell - thank you to those people for reading and responding. Thanks to all for reading x
Last edited by miriam on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make title less generic

Bobgirl

Re: Advice please: 2.2 and worries about conversion courses

Post by Bobgirl » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:44 am

Hi NaomiG

I'm really sorry that you have been going through such a tough time. It sounds like you are managing things well however. I really don't know what to advice. It might be worth thinking about what Uni's you particularly want to apply to and look at their criteria. You might even be worth phoning a Uni and asking them about postgrad courses and what would support your application. Be careful to look at Uni's that specifically say that you can apply with a 2:2 and you might want to think about whether you can manage the course at the moment. If you were to get a low mark In your Masters this might make applying even more difficult for you.

Hope things work out for you x

NaomiG

Post by NaomiG » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Thank you so much Bobgirl for your reply, much appreciated. I've been doing a lot of research over the last week and spoken to various course directors for the MSc conversion but still no closer to making a decision.
Thanks again x

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:43 am

For clinical it's the classification that matters, not the prestige.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:15 am

I did my Msc when I was unwell and didn't do brilliantly in terms of grades though with everything that was going on I was thrilled with how I did.

I have a low 2:1 and my Masters grade has stopped me from applying to a number of doctorate courses and I wish I had done it a different point in my life.

I echo the advice to get in touch with courses that you would like to go to on the doctorate and ask them how they will view the conversion Msc as I know a few courses use mitigating circumstances or Lancaster who as far as I know accepts a 2:2 with no further academic qualifications.

NaomiG

Post by NaomiG » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks for the advice Bluecat and Randomnswirls. Typically i procrastinate about these things. Career aspirations aside, i want to aim for a distinction for personal fulfilment more than anything so that i might achieve what i feel i'm capable of - sometimes even with the best of intentions and hard work, life events and illness can prove stressful enough to hinder these good intentions - not an excuse i know.