Degree grade calculator

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
benbrand

Degree grade calculator

Post by benbrand » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi all,

The exact percentage of my degree wasn't included on my official transcript, so I'm trying to figure it out. My weightings were a little different due to a year abroad -- 40% 2nd year, 20% 3rd year, and 40% final year. Does anybody have a spreadsheet they've created to help? Or even a website that they've used?

Also, another question -- my degree didn't include the grades from my first year, nor does it specify the actual weightings of each year. If this information isn't included on my transcript, how will admissions for CP programs know how to appropriately calculate my percent grade?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben

StevenMac

Re: Degree grade calculator

Post by StevenMac » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi Ben,

I assume you are intending to apply to universities that state a certain minimum that's not easily ascertained through individual transcripts (e.g. "high 2.1"). My understanding is that different universities apply different weightings to your transcript to ascertain your degree classification (and if it falls within low/mid/high 2.1 for example), which may be different to how the awarding university did so.

I believe this has been discussed in other threads in the application process forum so it may be worthwhile seeking that out, as there may be information regarding the institutions you wish to apply to. However, if there is no further information regarding how an institution would classify your transcript I'd advise you contact the courses you intend to apply to directly to ask for their criteria. From my personal experience they didn't have any problems sharing that information.

All the best with your application!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:02 pm

(0.4 * yr1grade) + (0.2 * yr2grade) + (0.4 * yr3grade)

But yeah, StevenMac's post is very helpful. Definitely worth getting in touch with the unis you are considering directly to find out more.

Good luck!
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:53 am

Thank you both!

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:43 am

For any of you applying to UCL, I received this back from their admissions tutor:

I think that the best way to manage this would be for your academic referee to include the information you give below in their reference (i.e. the fact of it's calculation by algorithm and the grade itself).

I hope that clarifies