MSc in clinical psychology or research methods!?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
MindfulPsych

MSc in clinical psychology or research methods!?

Post by MindfulPsych » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone could provide me with some advice as i'm struggling a little....

I'm really interested in a MSc in aspects of clinical psychology but i've been told before "not to bother" with this course as doctorate sights are only interested in MSc research methods. Is this true!? I want to the masters that I will enjoy but hearing that it might affect my chances for the doctorate is a little off putting.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Or how they found the courses? :D (I'm looking at Reading Uni & Southampton Uni)

Thanks!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
benbrand

Re: MSc in clinical psychology or research methods!?

Post by benbrand » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 pm

Hm, just out of curiosity who told you "not to bother"? I'm dubious as to whether completing an MSc would hinder your chances on gaining place.

Just based off of the Alternative Handbook, it looks like the majority of centers seem to lean towards accepting those with some sort of postgraduate qualification vs those who don't. I've gone back and forth between deciding to do an MSc, but I've finally decided on a program offered by QMUL in "Mental Health: Psychological Therapies" - it's offered long distance and is fairly inexpensive (6,750) for the entire MSc. You should take a look if you're interested! It's offered as long distance learning too.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:57 am

I would suggest you need to think about the three aspects selectors will look at.....clinical, academic including research, and personal. Which of your elements needs rhe most boost....
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

reishi

Post by reishi » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Do you hold a 2:2 or low 2:1? If yes, having a research masters will boost your chances. As you might already know, courses demand 2:1, some even asks for high 2:1. On the other hand, majority of them accept applicants with a 2:2 only if they do some further academic studies and get at least Merit. Most of these courses demand a research masters or phd, and do not accept taught masters. Others don't bother with that and welcome any kind of postgrad study. So, doing a research masters will definitely increase the number of courses you can apply to if you hold a 2:2. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to do a course they don't particularly like, especially at postgrad level. You can still apply a handful of courses with your 2:2 and an MSc with at least Merit. If you already have a 2:1, do not even consider about all these, just study what you really want.
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:11 pm

benbrand wrote:Hm, just out of curiosity who told you "not to bother"? I'm dubious as to whether completing an MSc would hinder your chances on gaining place.

Just based off of the Alternative Handbook, it looks like the majority of centers seem to lean towards accepting those with some sort of postgraduate qualification vs those who don't. I've gone back and forth between deciding to do an MSc, but I've finally decided on a program offered by QMUL in "Mental Health: Psychological Therapies" - it's offered long distance and is fairly inexpensive (6,750) for the entire MSc. You should take a look if you're interested! It's offered as long distance learning too.
Hello, a psychologist once told me... hence why it's been playing on my mind. I had a look at the QMUL course and it seems really good! How do you find distance learning?
BlueCat wrote:I would suggest you need to think about the three aspects selectors will look at.....clinical, academic including research, and personal. Which of your elements needs rhe most boost....
Hi, I need a little bit more clinical, I have research publications but ultimately I think it's academia... I have a low 2:1 which i'm proud of but I always feel like i'm not quite good enough. :?
reishi wrote:Do you hold a 2:2 or low 2:1? If yes, having a research masters will boost your chances. As you might already know, courses demand 2:1, some even asks for high 2:1. On the other hand, majority of them accept applicants with a 2:2 only if they do some further academic studies and get at least Merit. Most of these courses demand a research masters or phd, and do not accept taught masters. Others don't bother with that and welcome any kind of postgrad study. So, doing a research masters will definitely increase the number of courses you can apply to if you hold a 2:2. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to do a course they don't particularly like, especially at postgrad level. You can still apply a handful of courses with your 2:2 and an MSc with at least Merit. If you already have a 2:1, do not even consider about all these, just study what you really want.
I hold a low 2:1, I thought about doing a research masters as I know that I can take additional modules which would be great. Although funding is a little bit of a problem at the moment. I am currently doing a PGDip but i've been told it's not something that clinical sites will take into consideration. I know that some courses will still accept me without a masters but it depends on who else has applied that but also how reflective I am in terms of my clinical work... but we shall see!

purpledot

Post by purpledot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Do you have any idea of particular courses or locations you're hoping to apply to for the DClinPsy? If you do, then it might be worth having a look at their requirements on the course pages on the Clearing House (or even contacting them to enquire), as I seem to remember that some courses specified if MSc courses had to be taught or research-based in order to count towards an application, so that might help to make your decision about which course to do.
MindfulPsych wrote: Hi, I need a little bit more clinical, I have research publications but ultimately I think it's academia... I have a low 2:1 which i'm proud of but I always feel like i'm not quite good enough. :?
Also, I had similar feelings about my low 2:1 not feeling good enough, but I'm now a first-year trainee, and there are lots of others on the forum too! If you haven't looked at it yet, I found it really helpful when applying to look at the 'What experience did you have when you got on training?' thread to remind myself that there are lots of different routes to training.

Best of luck with whichever course you choose :)

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am

purpledot wrote:Do you have any idea of particular courses or locations you're hoping to apply to for the DClinPsy? If you do, then it might be worth having a look at their requirements on the course pages on the Clearing House (or even contacting them to enquire), as I seem to remember that some courses specified if MSc courses had to be taught or research-based in order to count towards an application, so that might help to make your decision about which course to do.

Also, I had similar feelings about my low 2:1 not feeling good enough, but I'm now a first-year trainee, and there are lots of others on the forum too! If you haven't looked at it yet, I found it really helpful when applying to look at the 'What experience did you have when you got on training?' thread to remind myself that there are lots of different routes to training.

Best of luck with whichever course you choose :)
I'm ever so sorry - I've only just seen this response!

Thank you - I've got a few in mind and I've checked their requirements and I fit their minimum criteria but it's when I am compared to another applicant. I have been offered an MSc now but i'm recovering from being very unwell and I just don't think now is the right time to complete it :(

That's amazing! I hope you're enjoying your training! I feel that clinically I've got a strong application it's just the academic side of things!

Thank you - best of luck with the rest of your training! :D