Counsellor Training - BACP Acred

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
enchanted

Counsellor Training - BACP Acred

Post by enchanted » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Hello all,

I have an undergraduate degree in Counselling from UEL (non-accredited as did not do clinical hours)

Currently working in IAPT and training as a PWP with Surrey University.

In the future, I would like to train as an integrative therapist, combining my person-centred experience with my CBT skills.

Can anyone recommend the best route to do this and/or recommend any specific colleges to train further with?

I am open to Diplomas, Postgrad Certificates or Diplomas, or MSc's - just getting confused about what's the best path? :?

Thanks in advance x

Carla

Re: Counsellor Training - BACP Acred

Post by Carla » Sat May 27, 2017 8:22 am

Hi... I'm not sure I fully understand what you are looking for but I felt you were asking how to seek accreditation with the BACP. Is that right? If so the best place to go might be the BACP website - this explains that even if your course wasn't accredited you can become a member by taking their certificate of proficiency. This is an assessment of your knowledge and skills to ensure you are fit to practice, which I believe was introduced to try and regulate the level of practitioners in a fairly unregulated industry. Its a scenario based multiple choice test that you can take at different times throughout the country. Once you are a registered member you can then work towards your accredited status by gathering clinical hours and submitting some reflective analysis. Not fully knowing your situation I don't feel qualified to give further advice but below are two helpful links. The first link is to the BACP detailing the proficiency test and the other is to the CPCAB which is an organisation that do recognised qualifications that include clinical hours as part of their requirements though if you have a degree and sit the proficiency test and are training as a PWP you probably wont need further training unless you want to progress further. You might also think about volunteering within an agency setting to gain those clinical hours whilst being adequately supervised. Please remember there are many routes you can take these are just the ones I would personally recommend based on what you said.

http://www.bacpregister.org.uk/join/
http://www.cpcab.co.uk/

Good Luck.

cbthighintensity

Post by cbthighintensity » Sat May 27, 2017 8:57 am

You might want to consider the new PGDip at UCL, which combines CBT and counselling for depression. It's more CBT oriented but it also gives you some counselling experience. The good thing is that you are qualified in high intestity cbt - which is great for employment and job prospects.

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sat May 27, 2017 6:07 pm

I wonder whether a course like this http://www.metanoia.ac.uk/training-prog ... hotherapy/ might be of interest?