Is it worth the crippling debt to do an online Msc?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Boatymcboatface

Is it worth the crippling debt to do an online Msc?

Post by Boatymcboatface » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:34 pm

I am now 2 attempts at the clinical application down, and yet again have not got an interview. I have been working as a paid assistant psychologist in two forensic posts over the past two years (I was in an honorary post for a year before this). I have a mid 2:1 at undergraduate level (psychology Bsc) from the University of Liverpool and i am second author on a recent publication. Needless to say, it is starting to feel like whatever i do is not enough! I am thinking i may have to just suck it up and do a masters. However my reluctance has previously been about the excessive debt i am likely to get myself into.

I have found an online Msc in Mental Health Psychology at the University of Liverpool which would enable me to work full time whilst i complete it. It costs a massive £14000 however (with my alumni discount) and takes 2.5 years. It feels like a massive commitment; time wise as well as financially. I think it is technically part time which is why it takes so long, yet they charge full time fees each year. Is it worth it? This also means that i won't be able to apply for DClin next year and so may not even start training til im 30. The other possibility is to do a Postgrad certificate or PGDip which is a bit cheaper but is it worth so much academically?

Any advice would be really appreciated....

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Is it worth the crippling debt to do an online Msc?

Post by maven » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:24 pm

I'd not pay that. I'd get additional publications instead. Less than half of successful doctoral applicants have an MSc, and publications are arguably a more impressive proof of academic ability.

But more importantly, target where you apply to, and get your form reviewed. It is likely to be something else entirely!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:49 pm

I agree with Maven about getting your form reviewed. How you sell yourself is vital Also, which courses have you applied to? Some state explicitly that you must have a high 2:1 or above, others do not specify. It's worth having an in-depth look at the individual course requirements and avoiding applying for those courses that expect a high 2:1 or above.
Boatymcboatface wrote:The other possibility is to do a Postgrad certificate or PGDip which is a bit cheaper but is it worth so much academically?
Short answer, no. PG Dips and PG Certs will not count as evidence of higher academic achievement, so if you DO decide on further study it will have to be an MSc. But, as has already been said, I'm not convinced it will benefit you enough to make it worth the cost.

benbrand

Post by benbrand » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm in pretty much the same boat - after 4 rejections this year I've decided to complete an online MSc in Mental Health and Psychological Therapies. Given that I'm in California, and completely unwilling to pay the exorbitant fees for an MS here, I'm applying for this:

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/taug ... 21472.html

The course is around 6750 and seems to be designed for people that are working part/full-time in mental health. Take a look at it! I'm hopefully starting in September.

Good Luck!
Ben

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 am

That's the course I'm currently doing (QMUL) so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask here / PM me.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:03 pm

What about The Open University?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Every single trainee in my cohort of 13, including myself, has an MSc or higher qualification. I, like you, resented the thought of having to do an MSc just to get onto clinical training. While it is quite an expense, I am very, very pleased that I did. My MSc was a critical phase of learning (in my case, research methods) that I strongly feel earned me an interview on my current course.

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 pm

I did an Msc at the open university which I thought they had stopped? Whilst doing it I was very unwell so this had a big impact on my grades. That said as a result I stopped work and really can't see how I would have managed both.

As queen procrastinator I found doing it online tricky as I didn't have the social side or even attending lectures to motivate me and if I could do my time again I would without a doubt do it at a brick university.

I needed to make up for a low 2:1 and get a reference and ultimately my masters didn't do that the first because of illness the second because I didn't know any of my tutors (I had up to 5 anonymous group phone calls a year).

That said I know some people who have love, thrived and shone at the open uni and for them it would be a definite yes so I'd say it may be worth the crippling debt but it may well not be!