These "Applications/Foundations of Clinical Psychology" Msc

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Maango

These "Applications/Foundations of Clinical Psychology" Msc

Post by Maango » Tue May 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Hey guys

So after not being successful for the millionth :bom: time at interview stage for assistant psych posts, I'm thinking of doing a masters (I do have a low 2.1 in my BSc so maybe worth it?). My real interest is in neuropsych and there is this MSc Developmental and Clinical Neuropsychology course that Bournemouth do that looks suppppeeeerrr interesting to me.
However, I've noticed a lot of these "Foundations/Applications in Clinical Psychology" masters pop up from several universities now (Christchurch now recently offer one too!) and I was wondering that if I do this course at Bournemouth, will it restrict my chances at applying for posts that do not main in neuropsychology? Is this even a credible course? Is it worth doing one of these foundations in clinical psychology courses just to up your resume? What do you guys think??

Thanks for any replies in advance :)

mungle

Re: These "Applications/Foundations of Clinical Psychology"

Post by mungle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:02 am

If you're interested in Neuro it's worth checking any of these will help you post-dclinpsy in the Neuropsychology training.
Do the one you will enjoy most an is in your area of interest - then whether clin psy happens or not you'll be moving close to something you will enjoy. However, depending on your degree grade, you do not have to have a master to do the dclinpsy. Alternatives include being a research assistant and working on clinical audits, service evaluations and research and/or publishing.

EstrellaAmore

Re: These "Applications/Foundations of Clinical Psychology"

Post by EstrellaAmore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Maango wrote:Hey guys

So after not being successful for the millionth :bom: time at interview stage for assistant psych posts, I'm thinking of doing a masters (I do have a low 2.1 in my BSc so maybe worth it?). My real interest is in neuropsych and there is this MSc Developmental and Clinical Neuropsychology course that Bournemouth do that looks suppppeeeerrr interesting to me.
However, I've noticed a lot of these "Foundations/Applications in Clinical Psychology" masters pop up from several universities now (Christchurch now recently offer one too!) and I was wondering that if I do this course at Bournemouth, will it restrict my chances at applying for posts that do not main in neuropsychology? Is this even a credible course? Is it worth doing one of these foundations in clinical psychology courses just to up your resume? What do you guys think??

Thanks for any replies in advance :)
I am looking into that course at Bournemouth too as it sounds really interesting. There is also one at Bangor that looks good too, Principles of Clinical Neuropsychology. I looked at the clinical psychology masters too but really cant justify the high tuition fees to get voluntary experience. Instead i am going to go for a masters that really interests me. Sorry that doesnt really answer your question!!