Personal Experience - ASD

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
EstrellaAmore

Personal Experience - ASD

Post by EstrellaAmore » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Hello
I am presently applying for MSc Educational Psychology (in Scotland). Although I have the required relevant experience working with children, a big part of my knowledge I feel comes from my personal experience. I have a child (now almost teenager!) with Autism, who I had in my late teens so I have lots of experiences to reflect on. I am not sure if I should mention this in my application? Is this relevant? And if so how do I word it? Are selectors likely to look down on someone for pursuing a career as a ‘additional needs’ parent?
Any advice would be much appreciated
thank you :)

Alexander

Re: Personal Experience - ASD

Post by Alexander » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:51 pm

I can't say from the perspective of educational psychology, but as far as clinical psychology is concerned, I would mention it. I have disclosed relevant personal experiences of mental health in applications. Be careful to state what about those experiences prepare you for the course you are applying for. Just saying you have an autistic son isn't going to help. Good luck.