MSc Psychological Therapy in Primary Care 2019

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
mholmes32

Re: MSc Psychological Therapy in Primary Care 2019

Post by mholmes32 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Has anyone had any interview invitations yet? 🙈

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Nanasi13

Post by Nanasi13 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:52 pm

I have not! I have started to obsessively check my emails and this thread - hah! Hope we find out soon.

JamieFerrie

Post by JamieFerrie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Hey guys, for anyone wondering emails went out today (and are still being sent out I believe) as someone I know just received theirs :) Best of luck!

mholmes32

Post by mholmes32 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Will they be sent out until the end of the day or will there be some sent out tomorrow also? :?

JamieFerrie

Post by JamieFerrie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 pm

If I'm honest I'm not entirely sure... Although my impressions are is that Karen (course admin) is doing the emails one by one to each person as opposed to a standard send-out so may well possibly be till tomorrow. I suppose the only way to find out is pop an email over to her tomorrow morning, may as well :D

Nanasi13

Post by Nanasi13 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi guys, for anyone wondering, I emailed Karen and she said all interview invites have been sent out now. Disappointed I didn’t get one this year, because last year I did get one! Congrats to those of you who have been invited and commiserations to those who have not! There is always next year I guess!! Good luck to you all.

mholmes32

Post by mholmes32 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks so much for the update! I unfortunately didn’t get one either! Onwards and upwards!!!! :)

Congrats to the guys and gals who got interviews ;)

Am0329

Post by Am0329 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:54 pm

I didn't get an interview either. It's frustrating that you don't find out why, although I guess to give feedback to everyone who applied would be a big task :lol:
Would be good to know though as I thought I nailed the experience bit!

Haze18

Post by Haze18 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Hey guys! Do we get a rejection email, or just no response (on my UCAS it still says "awaiting decision")?

China

Post by China » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 am

I think there are a couple of things that have happened here. First, I think expectations for places have become skewed over the years due to the number of people applying who have already gone above and beyond the standard education requirements. For a standard MSc, a 2:1 is sufficient as the competition is generally low to moderate. I think they have to remember that this is also an MSc; the standard qualification above a BSc. I think because so many people apply who already have MScs, the bar is set unrealistically high, which it shouldn’t be. This was also confirmed by the course director, who even said they get applicants with PHDs.

Secondly, I think it is extremely difficult for first time applicants to get on this course due to the high volume of people who have re-applied from previous years. This year, I was a first time applicant. I have a first class honours, seven years experience working in numerous jobs as a support worker, almost a year of research assistant experience, and have also done work under the supervision of a consultant psychologist. I didn’t even make the interview stage despite saying I was willing to travel to all the locations apart from Orkney and Dumfries. I also drive too.

To that end, I firmly believe that the expectations of this course are that one must have an additional qualification such as an MSc to even have a chance at getting on it, which if correct, is an absolute farce as this course IS AN MSC. Now, I understand fully why the NHS has a gross shortage of mental health professionals. If they’re turning people away who are more than capable of achieving in favour of someone with additional letters after their name, then I would rather seek a different career.

We can’t wait around forever.

Am0329

Post by Am0329 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:19 am

Yes I agree.

I have 15 years plus working as a nurse, 2 years working in mental health, 2 years working in a research job, as well as banking in the homeless industry with experience in addictions, mental health and all the issues homelessness brings. I have my 2.1 in Psychology as well as my nursing degree. I also was happy to travel the length and breadth of the country.

I was gutted yesterday, however gave myself a good talking to and I'm moving on although staying within psychology. I'm a mature student so realistically I don't want to spend 5 plus years trying to get into a course. There are plenty of psychology courses out there it's just the cost of them. I paid for my undergraduate degree as my nursing was funded.

lemon13

Post by lemon13 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:30 am

There is a mix of experience among the trainees. Some people have undergraduate degree only, some have MSc, possibly Phd… Same with prior work experience, anything from 6 month voluntary positions to years of relevant experience. It isn't as simple as 'only candidates with MSc are invited for an interview'. Also at that stage it really doesn't matter if you choose one health board or all.

I would say that how you answer the questions is important. Be accurate, current, reference, and good luck next year if you decide to apply again :)

PolkaDot

Post by PolkaDot » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:02 pm

I’ve done this course and you definitely do not need an MSc to get on. My cohort came from a range of different backgrounds. Only 1 had a PhD and a few had MSc’s but the majority didn’t. People also had a mix of experience but you don’t need loads, one person I know got on straight from undergrad with support worker experience. I think it’s more about how your write the application and how it shows your understanding of the course, the caap role, and a basic knowledge of what you will be studying. In that way it’s a lot like the doctorate application - it’s not your the amount of qualifications/experience you have, it’s how you reflect on it that’s important. Also, location of where you would work has no impact at this stage. Maybe get someone (therapist/psychologist) to review your form. :)

mnewto200

Post by mnewto200 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi everyone, unfortuanetly I didn't get an interview either and I'm really disheartened because despite not expecting to get on the actual course first time I was quietly confident I would get an interview and be able to experience the interview process.

Moving forward I'm trying to remain motivated to continue on the clinical path, but I was wondering if anybody had any advice or suggestions to develop my application for next year?

I graduated in July with a 1:1 in Applied Psychology and I've been involved with volunteering with Rape Crisis Scotland, the NSPCC, working with children with learning and physical disabilities, within addiction services and currently volunteer at an art group biweekly at an intensive psychiatric unit. On top of that, I have been a voluntary research assistant and in my final year of uni I was lucky enough to be accepted to discuss my dissertation findings at a BPS conference. Currently I work two jobs and work an unreal amount of hours a week, I work in a pizza shop and also as a support worker (this job can range from working with individuals with mental health difficulties to severe physical disabilities). As you can tell from working two jobs, I'm not really in a financial position currently to do either a self-funded MSc or a PhD or any more unpaid work but I was hoping if anybody would be kind enough to give me any suggestions of possible job routes/extra stuff I could be doing to hopefully land an interview next year. One thing I'm definitely going to work on is passing my driving test so I'm hoping that'll be a bonus on my application.

Sorry for the sort of vague question, I'm just new to the whole "what to do once you graduate" thing and I'm the first person in my family to have went to university so I'm looking for advice elsewhere because none of us really know what steps to take next. Thanks a lot xx

CByrne

Post by CByrne » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:45 pm

I still havn't had an email, I realise this means I have not been successful, but acknowledgement of the fact I applied would be nice. Is anyone else in this position?

I emailed Karen on Friday but no response as of yet, and UCAS still says "awaiting decision". This was my first year applying, for those who have been through this process already, is it normal to just not have a response?

Thanks!