MSc Psychological Therapy in Primary Care 2019

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Haze18

Re: MSc Psychological Therapy in Primary Care 2019

Post by Haze18 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Yeah in the same position, don't worry!

Did anyone else think the application process was terrible? I emailed the admissions team and Karen feedback on the whole application process which I thought was incredibly inefficient given the status of the university - with having to re-write personal information already in the NHS forms on to UCAS forms, also, the NHS forms webpage disappeared after the initial application deadline without prior warning that the reference forms would not be available to download after this time, and having to send in references without even knowing you'll get to the interview stage. They should've used an interactive Adobe Acrobat Form (which the Edinburgh/Glasgow partner course uses) which would save time for everyone, and only require references from successful applicants... I gave them this feedback and got no reply which I expected. Maybe they'll email us rejection notices later (the Edinburgh course does) but they could make the whole process so much more efficient for 2020 applicants.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
sci92

Post by sci92 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:01 pm

I think an automated response is sent back from any emails to Karen, it went to my spam inbox though.

It says:
'MSc PTPC applicants. I am sorry to inform you if I have not emailed you direct, to your personal email by Friday 5.00 pm you have not been selected for interview this time. We do not give feedback at this stage of the process. Thank you very much for applying. Best Wishes. Karen'

She explained in the open day that the ucas form boxes are not applicable to complete, so you can just write "n/a", but I agree this could be clearer in the application guidance online!

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:44 pm

mnewto200 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 pm
Hi everyone, unfortuanetly I didn't get an interview either and I'm really disheartened because despite not expecting to get on the actual course first time I was quietly confident I would get an interview and be able to experience the interview process.

Moving forward I'm trying to remain motivated to continue on the clinical path, but I was wondering if anybody had any advice or suggestions to develop my application for next year?

I graduated in July with a 1:1 in Applied Psychology and I've been involved with volunteering with Rape Crisis Scotland, the NSPCC, working with children with learning and physical disabilities, within addiction services and currently volunteer at an art group biweekly at an intensive psychiatric unit. On top of that, I have been a voluntary research assistant and in my final year of uni I was lucky enough to be accepted to discuss my dissertation findings at a BPS conference. Currently I work two jobs and work an unreal amount of hours a week, I work in a pizza shop and also as a support worker (this job can range from working with individuals with mental health difficulties to severe physical disabilities). As you can tell from working two jobs, I'm not really in a financial position currently to do either a self-funded MSc or a PhD or any more unpaid work but I was hoping if anybody would be kind enough to give me any suggestions of possible job routes/extra stuff I could be doing to hopefully land an interview next year. One thing I'm definitely going to work on is passing my driving test so I'm hoping that'll be a bonus on my application.

Sorry for the sort of vague question, I'm just new to the whole "what to do once you graduate" thing and I'm the first person in my family to have went to university so I'm looking for advice elsewhere because none of us really know what steps to take next. Thanks a lot xx
Will has indicated that the emphasis is not on experience (they’ve taken on someone whose only work experience was at Macdonald’s) but on your understanding of the role, related issues, as well as relevant psychological theory. That being said having relevant experience can help here as it’s a way to put theory into practice and really consolidate what you know. It’s tough because the course seems to be really competitive and the quality of applicants really high! If only they could double the number of placements! I think your making some really positive steps in gaining relevant experience as well as your driving license as both these things can only be of help in the long run. The only additional thing I can think for next year is to attend the open day if you haven’t before and to make sure your confident in the areas I mentioned. Good luck!

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Good luck to everyone who has interviews this week! I have mine Thursday and the nerves have definitely set in. I know we can’t discuss question details but for those who have interviewed multiple times did you feel the theory questions each year varied much? If the answer is no then I shall feel slightly more reassured but if it’s yes I shall resume my worrying :lol:

sci92

Post by sci92 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:27 pm

How did people's interviews go? (Without giving anything away of course). Had mine yesterday and time is going very slowly now before I find out!

JamieFerrie

Post by JamieFerrie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 am

I had mines on Tuesday and thought it was alright! Panel were really friendly and Karen and will we’re great to talk to at the beginning - Defos helped the nerves! Who did everyone get interviewed by? I had Stirling and Dundee reps, and reps from Glasgow and forth valley. I just wish they would let us know soon put us out our misery of waiting 😭

sci92

Post by sci92 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:42 am

Yeah I found chatting to them helped too!
I had someone from Lothian, an academic from Stirling and I forgot where the third was from with the nerves!
Think we'll probably find out by the end of next week from what Karen said, latest within 2 weeks.

niknak

Post by niknak » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 pm

I was so nervous in the waiting area so it was great to have Karen and Will there! My panel consisted of 4 people with an academic rep, Orkney rep, and two healthbosrds that in can’t recall :oops:
I feel it went alright though I may have actually over prepared so ended up info dumping quite a bit!
I’m feeling proud of myself regardless of the outcome though :) Here’s hoping it’s good news and that we don’t suffer too much with the wait!

sci92

Post by sci92 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 pm

Yeah I felt like I was information dumping too though didn't do very well in one of the q's in particular. Guess it depends how well everyone else did!

Where was your first choice place?

niknak

Post by niknak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:32 am

Orkney was my first choice followed by Forth Valley, then Ayrshire and Arran. Yourself?
And this is very true. The odds are pretty good with 74 candidates and 31 places but the standard is so high!

sci92

Post by sci92 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:45 am

Orkney would be cool! With Orkney as your first choice you've got a good chance! Mine is Lothian.

Oh yeah I forgot there's 31 places now, an extra chance! Haha.

Yeah 31/74 doesn't sound that bad but considering the 74 were originally out of 280 applications it sounds tougher!

JamieFerrie

Post by JamieFerrie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 pm

I was the exact same with info dumping! I sometimes answered the next question unwittingly :lol:

My three choices were Glasgow, Lanarkshire, and Forth Valley. I know they said by end of next week but does anyone know when previous years got the emails through? Just want to know now! :P

Yeah, Karen and Will said they were surprised that they've been getting more applicants this time round - they attributed it to Brexit lol..

niknak

Post by niknak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:03 pm

I interviewed on the 5th last year and found out I was on the reserves the very next day so they either had it all figured out quickly or had at least figured out the rankings.
Also nothing wrong with being ahead of the game in terms of answering :)
Did anyone else feel there weren’t enough questions? I could have spoken about so many things but they seemed pretty specific. I really can’t gauge how well I did so going to have to resist refreshing my emails every five minutes for the next week :lol:

sci92

Post by sci92 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:43 pm

I know what you mean, they were very focused. I suppose it's just like a sample though of what you know, which given the spread of qs is probably quite representative of how much you prepared and could talk about overall.

Yeah I guess you don't know how good your answer was, only if you didn't have a clue or not. I was a bit rusty on a theory one, but not terrible.

JamieFerrie

Post by JamieFerrie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:25 am

Yeah I agree with the questions being specific - although I managed to ramble on too long cause at the end they said they wouldn’t let me ask them questions as they were pushed for time 🙈whoops hahah.

Hopefully it’s early next week the waiting is torturing me 😂