Part-time/Distance Learning MSc Psychology Conversion Course

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
DavidBS

Part-time/Distance Learning MSc Psychology Conversion Course

Post by DavidBS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:26 am

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum and considering a change in direction for my career.

I’m 26 years old with an undergraduate degree.

I currently work in property management and I’m intending to do a MSc conversion course next September, either distance learning or part-time alongside full time employment. I’ll be a young 27 year old when I begin.

following my MSc I would like to complete the Dclinpsy.

My 2 main questions are as follows:

1) Am I potentially too old to be taking on this change which is realistically going to take approx. 6 years to complete? (I’ll be 33 if I also get 1 year experience in the working field).

2) Is there an downside to undertaking the course via a distance learning method, or will it all weigh up the same when applying for the doctorate? I’m vaguely aware that I may miss out on the face to face aspect of conversing with my professors and potentially networking to aid in my application.
If I had to do part time/full time, I’d have to work many hours just to hold myself down during the course. Due to my current bills etc I’d realistically need to earn approx £1.4k after tax per month which is obviously hard to do if I had a part time hourly wage job.

Any advice is appreciated!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Part-time/Distance Learning MSc Psychology Conversion Course

Post by Geishawife » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:14 am

Short answer, no and no! You are certainly not too old - many people start training in their thirties - and so long as your MSc is BPS accredited the fact it is distance learning won't make any difference at all. The only thing I would say is the "1 year experience" you mention is likely to be more than 1 year! Whilst the courses generally mention a year's experience, the reality is most applicants have considerably more. Consequently, I would strongly recommend that you try to get some relevant experience whilst doing your MSc. This could be voluntary and can take make many forms (have a look at the "What Experience" link in the Doctorate Applications section for ideas) and then you are better set to make strong applications for relevant paid experience once you have your conversion.
Good luck.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:14 am

Indeed. Any BPS accredited conversion is fine, but as well as getting the highest possible mark you'll need to build up your experience to compete with other applicants, and if you look at our polls that normally takes 2-3 years, rather than one!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

DavidBS

Post by DavidBS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Thank you both for the feedback!

It looks like the experience is the biggest hurdle for most people, I intend to start looking for volunteering/part time work experience ASAP and will make an effort to complete any extra qualifications in the meantime! Then I’ll try and keep up the extra experience throughout the 2 years and hopefully get some form of full time placement when I finish for 1-2 years before I try and get on the doctorate. In theory I should have racked up about 3 years experience by the time I apply the for the dclinpsy!

Would you agree that would be a good plan if action?

Thanks!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:08 pm

That sounds very reasonable, but don't worry too much about extra qualifications. Instead, focus on getting the best grade possible in your conversion. Solid clinical experience will do you far more favours than extra qualifications that (depending on what they are) might not even be recognised by the courses.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:22 am

I'd focus on getting the best possible mark in your conversion, and see gaining experience at this stage as a lower priority thing - you can gain experience after getting the qualification, but you probably aren't going to want to redo the qualification if you get a lower mark than you are capable of because of having too much on your plate.

I'm also a bit sceptical about the value of additional qualifications. But if you can find something to publish from the research or clinical work you do, that can add a lot to your CV too.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

DavidBS

Post by DavidBS » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:02 am

Thank you all so much for the advice and support, I’ve taken it onboard and will hopefully have some good news in the next few months!