Any Forensic Psychs that could help please?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Rhj92

Any Forensic Psychs that could help please?

Post by Rhj92 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:48 pm

Hey guys,
I'm not new to the forum but new to posting so please be gentle :D
I'm at a point where I'm questioning my options and would really love some advice from people who may have been there/heard of stories etc.

So, I am trying to pursue a career as a Forensic Psychologist, however my uni grades leave a lot to be desired.
I achieved a 2:2 for an undergrad psych degree (BPS accredited) and a Pass at MSc level (also acredited).

I may sound conceited but I do not see my grades as true reflections of my ability. Statistical analysis has always been my achilles heel but other than that, I'm not too bad. I was on my way to a Merit at MSc level but my dog passed away during the course, and I missed some deadlines resulting in my grades being capped.

I have experience for a year as a care practitioner with young people, and have been working for a year as a programmes/interventions facilitator at a prison. I have applied for a couple of trainee positions recently (I only starting feeling 'ready' for progression now), but am wondering whether my grades will seriously hold me back in doing so. Most places don't give feedback at application stage so it will be hard to work out if it's my grades that people are rejecting me for. I feel it's unlikely a potential employer would take a chance on me when they have candidates that have distinctions etc who would be a much safer bet.

Any advice/tips etc would be greatly appreicated! Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Any Forensic Psychs that could help please?

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 am

I don't think there are any forensic psychologists here, but there are qualified CPs who can hopefully give you some good advice.

To be honest, I think grades like that would hold you back in becoming any kind of practitioner psychologist. This isn't to say that it would be impossible, but that it would be very difficult. Could you meet a forensic psychologist through the prison where you work and talk to them about it?

I would also look at other relevant career options that aren't quite so academic. You need competence in stats to carry out research - and, more importantly, to be able to understand other people's research and evaluate the evidence base effectively. I don't know if there is a neuro component to forensic psychology, but you'd need stats for that as well if there is. If you struggle with this to such a significant degree, it is going to be very hard for you to get through a training programme. I'm also not sure that shortlisters would see your dog's death as much of a mitigating circumstance. I'm sorry. I know it's horrible when a pet dies.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.