Need help gathering dissertation material.

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
wloftus97

Need help gathering dissertation material.

Post by wloftus97 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:47 pm

I am doing a dissertation on the influence of facial characteristics on the truth bias phenomena. I am in need of police interviews of innocents suspected of a serious crime (Arson, GBH, Sexual assault, armed robbery and murder) I have exhausted YouTube.

If anybody knows of a way to get hold of these kinds of material it would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lakeland

Re: Need help gathering dissertation material.

Post by lakeland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi

I'm not sure there's an easy and ethical way to get this information. The only possible thing I could think of is if there are any documentaries on people who have been a victim of a miscarriage of justice. There are a fair few high profile cases, but whether or not there'd be footage of their Police interviews, I don't know.

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:12 am

What did your supervisor suggest when considering whether the project was feasible?

I can only think of documentaries like Making a Murderer where Steven Avery was initially convicted of a crime he didn't commit, but I'm not sure there's video evidence of those interviews.

wloftus97

Post by wloftus97 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi all,

The only ethical way that I, at my level of study can get access to footage is if it is public domain. As for the documents they are plenty but no police interview footage is available. I have currently gone through making a murderer and paradise lost but they had nothing.

Thank you for your responses, they are appreciated.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:50 pm

What level is your dissertation at, and has it received ethical approval? Part of the ethics process should involve explaining exactly how you're going to obtain your data. If you wrote that you would use material that's in the public domain without checking first that the material existed, then I think the only option is for you to go back to your supervisor, explain the mistake, and design another project.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

persephone56

Post by persephone56 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

I agree with lingua. At this stage, you'd probably be better off going back to the start and designing a new project than wasting more time looking for something that may not exist. It sounds like you're early in your academic career, and it's a shame you didn't get better supervision around the feasibility of the study. But better to change course now than when it's too late! Best of luck with it.