Doing a conversion course and options

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
kjay

Doing a conversion course and options

Post by kjay » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi all,

I am currently in full time employment in corporate. I am considering doing a conversion course in a London university and had some questions.

Are there difference in where one does their conversion course?

My questions currently revolve around what to do after finishing ones course.

What job roles can or should one be applying to straight after graduating? Are there roles one can apply whilst studying the conversion course?

What is the job market actually like? I understand its competitive but everything worth doing is competitive.

Can someone give me some defined job roles within psychology like at the starting point whilst one is studying or just after graduating.

I'm not so much interested in the roles which require years of experience or a doctorate at this stage.

Anyone who has done a conversion course I would love to talk to your experiences and get advice.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Re: Doing a conversion course and options

Post by Esuma » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:41 pm

If you don’t have any experience in relevant areas I would suggest support work / nursing assistant / healthcare assistant as a good starting point in any relevant area. You can do bank work whilst doing your course so you are flexible on how many shifts you do depending on your uni workload and deadlines.

The ideal role once you’ve graduated is an Assistant Psychologist post in the NHS supervised by a clinical psychologist. They will be very competitive, particularly in London, you’re likely to have 100 applicants per job and they will often close the posts once a certain amount of people have applied meaning you need to respond quickly once you see a vacancy. I’ve found this particularly bad in Reading with jobs closing after only a few hours! Research Assistant roles are also another ideal role. They’re not the only options though! Look out for other roles such as Occupational Therapy Assistants, Recovery Workers, etc etc! Anywhere clinical psychologists work will be helpful in developing a better understanding of the role

kjay

Post by kjay » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:57 pm

]

birdi12

Post by birdi12 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi, I did a conversion course pretty recently and absolutely loved it. I'm interested in going down the clinical route and from what I understand it doesn't matter where you do your conversion (as long as there's GBC accreditation), it's more the mark/degree classification you get that's important. I started working as a part time support worker and honorary AP towards the end of the course and am soon to start an NHS AP role - I had horrors that getting that would take ages but luckily I managed to secure one pretty quickly.