Is it worth continuing feeling disheartened

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
ryan95

Is it worth continuing feeling disheartened

Post by ryan95 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:00 pm

I recently got a 60 this year on my MA in counselling and psychotherapy and I don’t know if it’s worth doing the dissertation component of it and coming out with a pass when I could just leave this year with a PG dip in counselling and psychotherapy.

I have a 1st class undergrad in a non psychological subject and am thinking about doing a Msc psychology conversion course.

Will my pass in a MA in counselling reflect badly on my application for a doctorate in future ? Or just having a PG dip.

I have got a pass due to being in a domestic abusive relationship for the majority of the course which has now ended.

To be honest I am feeling really depressed about my life at the moment as clinical psychology and counselling are all I want to do for work.

Literally cried when I got that 60 for the year. My MA is a three year part time MA. I’m 29 and finding it hard to keep on going with no job prospects and low wages.

I have worked as a support worker for 7 years and have volunteered for numerous charities and mental health organisations.

I just feel I have so much to offer as a clinical psychologist but I just feel my academic performance doesn’t match me in person.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
workingmama
Team Member

Re: Is it worth continuing feeling disheartened

Post by workingmama » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:11 pm

I’m sorry to hear about the abuse and hope you’re safe now. Well done on continuing to study and to keep your hopes and dreams alive during that.

My own advice would be to stop at the PG Dip, and to get started on the MSc conversion. The Masters in counselling won’t get you any further to the DClinPsy than the PG Dip would alone if it’s a pass grade. The PG Dip evidences some clinical teaching, but won’t be useful as evidence of academic ability as a pass, so you may as well crack on with the conversion if the DClin route is your plan. Have heart that your undergrad is a first class, so clearly you’ve got academic potential.

Hoping life is kinder to you from now on. X
Fail, fail again, fail better.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:17 pm

Agree with everything workingmama said, couldn't possibly put it better myself. If anything it says great things about you that you were able to pass despite all that.

Sounds like you need to give yourself a chance to pause, breathe, and re-group, and perhaps not putting yourself through a dissertation is the best way to do that. Academia is also just one part of the journey, and if you feel you'd enjoy the conversion course in and of itself, and that would give yourself the best chance, then go for it!

I also hope that you are safe, and well now. If you can get some kind of professional support to help with healing then I would encourage that. At the very least remember you are doing the best you can with what you have, and you've done the hardest part and survived. Rooting for you, even if I am a stranger on the internet. x

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:26 pm

Likewise to both the above posts.

And do find a job you are enjoying that you can do whilst doing the other stuff. Enjoying the journey is way more important than how fast you reach the destination.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com