Has anyone done a conversion psychology course at Chester university, what was your experience of the course ?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
ryan95

Has anyone done a conversion psychology course at Chester university, what was your experience of the course ?

Post by ryan95 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:58 am

I am due to start in 2020 on the conversion psychology MSc but am a bit worried about being prepared enough having come from a more creative arts background and not wanting to seem too academically stupid when measuring up to others on the course.

My main concern is the support offered on the course with stats and the academic writing.

I have really struggled on my MA with the academic work averaging around 60 percent but this is due to my dyslexia and not having the academic experience prior to starting my MA.

Any experiences would be welcome

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
workingmama
Team Member

Re: Has anyone done a conversion psychology course at Chester university, what was your experience of the course ?

Post by workingmama » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:52 am

For a very similar reason I decided to do a whole degree with the OU rather than the (then available) conversion. I wanted to show that I could get a First rather than a good pass on a shorter course in case this was a concern to selectors. Other folks will be along soon and may have a different view. Good luck!
Fail, fail again, fail better.

GandK

Re: Has anyone done a conversion psychology course at Chester university, what was your experience of the course ?

Post by GandK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:28 pm

I was in the 2018/2019 cohort. If had to described it in a singular adjective it would be - Intense!!! I think the fact it is a day a week is a touch misleading, as I have dedicated far more time to this course as I did with my full-time undergraduate degree. It is purely my own perception but people who have done it while maintaining a full-time working week have appeared to find the work/study/home balance really challenging. I worked between 10-15 hours per week and even that at times has felt like a bit of a battle with the sheer volume of reading you are expected to do. As it is a MSc the expectations appear to be a lot higher than undergraduate, which I know sounds obvious as it is a higher qualification, however while much of the module work and assignments mirror the undergraduate psychology programme at Chester, the actual academic expectations are higher - in terms expecting higher levels of referencing (primarily journals) and in terms of the levels of critique you are expected to apply to your work.

Specific comments:
It is a steep learning curve, so for instance those coming from a humanities background are expected to master the art of writing in a psychological manner very quickly. However, you are expected to read a lot of journal articles so if you can mimic the writing of others it should be feasible. My advice on this would be to book in with the person who marks your first assignment and get some specific feedback of where you can improve. I found this really useful and probably bumped my grade up by 10 or 15 marks for the remaining assignments.

Statistics wise, it isn't too bad - the exercises that they take you through as part of the research module are not too taxing and do not require too much mathematical ability (I am certainly no mathematician - C at GCSE over 20 years ago is my limit!). If you can follow written instructions you should be ok - they do give you a bit of structure and guidance to this in the various lab classes you have in the first semester. The one caveat to this is the stats that you end up doing as part of your dissertation, especially if you end up using an analysis technique that isn't covered within the course content (like I ended up with!) in this case additional background research will be required. However, you may choose to do a qualitative study that doesn't require any statistics
The level of support during your dissertation appears to be variable dependant on who is your assigned supervisor, they all seem ok but some seem to keen for you to have as much independance as possible whereas others want to be a bit more involved. However this again could be very student dependant - as you are entitled to 30 mins of support a week, but it is up to you to book in with your supervisor.

Good luck with your choice and if you have any specific questions drop me a message