Masters or AP job

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Flapjack123

Masters or AP job

Post by Flapjack123 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:04 am

I’ve just graduated with a 1st and have a place on a masters (with a clinical internship) but I’ve now also been offered a full time assistant psychologist job in a private forensic hospital. Obviously I am delighted to have been offered both these opportunities but I’m struggling to work out what would be best for me in terms of eventually applying for clinical doctorate. So any advice or thoughts anyone has would be really appreciated as I feel like I’m going around in circles thinking about it!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Masters or AP job

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:18 pm

AP, for sure.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:18 pm

lingua_franca wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:18 pm
AP, for sure.
Agreed 100%. With a 1st you don't need a Master's and AP jobs are like gold dust.

Flapjack123

Post by Flapjack123 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:51 am

Thank you! I was starting to think that the job would probably be better but makes it so much easier to decide when you have other people’s thoughts too :)

mungle

Post by mungle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:06 pm

I'd also agree wit taking the AP job. You can always choose to do the masters later or part-time alongside work but it's better experience than a volunteer placement and they pay you rather than the other way round! Seek out opportunities to do an audit, help with service evaluation, even get involved in research in the AP role and then see how you can usefully disseminate this.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:48 pm

mungle wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:06 pm
they pay you rather than the other way round!
This!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Reem

Post by Reem » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:12 pm

I have to agree with the above. Go for the AP role! They're hard to come across and you've already demonstrated academic ability so now try to demonstrate good experience and ability to work with patients etc.
You will then present yourself as a well-rounded applicant for the Doctorate.
If you're interested in doing some further studies or PG qualifications, perhaps consider the PWP route.
Good luck!