MSc ClinPsy Graduate - need some career advice PLS

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
shikha1263

MSc ClinPsy Graduate - need some career advice PLS

Post by shikha1263 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:41 am

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to the board for approving me into the group.

Guys this might be a long post but please bear with me. Basically I moved from India to the UK 2 months ago after having completed an MSc in Clinical Psychology and a year's work ex at a psychiatric hospital as a psychologist (not a protected title in India either). I'm on a dependent visa so I have permit to work. I have got Graduate membership and GBC with the BPS (which I know isn't a regulatory body, but does it mean that BPS accredits my MSc course or has it just verified it?) Here are the things I've tried and found out so far:

- I cannot apply for an HCPC registration without a doctorate in counselling or clinical psychology. Fair enough. I am not sure about a doctorate right now because my visa is currently for 2 years so I will need to figure that out before starting a doctorate.
- To work, I should probably look at voluntary or paid AP roles/RA roles/trainee PWP roles and undergo the one year training.
- I've been making applications at NHS jobs, Indeed, Gov.uk, LinkedIn for the roles^ mentioned.
- I have not applied for membership or anything with BACP/BABCP/UKCP.

What would you guys suggest I should do to look for work or training that'll get me work? What should I apply for? What route should I take? I may plan to do a doctorate in clinical psychology later. Basically any inputs would be great help to me.

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lakeland

Re: MSc ClinPsy Graduate - need some career advice PLS

Post by lakeland » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:52 am

Have you looked for nursing assistant / support worker / healthcare assistant roles? I think you might have to start there to gain experience and knowledge of the UK healthcare system and then apply for Assistant Psychologist / RA / PWP roles once you have some experience. The jobs you're currently applying for will have hundreds of applicants, so standards are high and people will be demonstrating a good knowledge of each role and the wider system on their applications.

Jobs.ac.uk is somewhere to look for academic roles, like Research Assistant jobs.

I don't know if the short term nature of your visa might be a barrier - people may not recruit into permanent posts if they think you might be ineligible for work after a couple of years, but maybe that's not clear on your applications.

Can someone proofread your application and offer guidance? You have a good grasp of written English with not too many errors but it can always help to have someone to check.

Good luck!

shikha1263

Post by shikha1263 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:26 pm

lakeland wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:52 am
Have you looked for nursing assistant / support worker / healthcare assistant roles? I think you might have to start there to gain experience and knowledge of the UK healthcare system and then apply for Assistant Psychologist / RA / PWP roles once you have some experience. The jobs you're currently applying for will have hundreds of applicants, so standards are high and people will be demonstrating a good knowledge of each role and the wider system on their applications.

Jobs.ac.uk is somewhere to look for academic roles, like Research Assistant jobs.

I don't know if the short term nature of your visa might be a barrier - people may not recruit into permanent posts if they think you might be ineligible for work after a couple of years, but maybe that's not clear on your applications.

Can someone proofread your application and offer guidance? You have a good grasp of written English with not too many errors but it can always help to have someone to check.

Good luck!
Hi! Thank you so much. I am also looking at the roles you mentioned actually. What you're saying makes sense since I have zero work ex in the UK healthcare system. I'll look into those. Would it be beneficial to also work on a voluntary role in the meantime?

Would you recommend that I get a practitioner to proofread my application and offer guidance or just anyone around me?

Also, should I go ahead and get a basic DBS check or wait for an employer to ask for one?

Thanks again!

Ekorn

Post by Ekorn » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:47 pm

shikha1263 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Also, should I go ahead and get a basic DBS check or wait for an employer to ask for one?
Wait for the employer to ask for one. It doesn't usually take too long for it to be processed. The employer would do the other pre-employment checks at the same time, and it usually have minimal impact on start date. There are different levels of DBS checks, and the level required depends on the job. Basic level might be enough for research posts, but you’ll most likely need enhanced DBS for support worker/nursing jobs. Do you already have some sort of equivalent check from India? Employers are likely to request this if you have been living abroad.

shikha1263

Post by shikha1263 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Ekorn wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:47 pm
shikha1263 wrote:

Wait for the employer to ask for one. It doesn't usually take too long for it to be processed. The employer would do the other pre-employment checks at the same time, and it usually have minimal impact on start date. There are different levels of DBS checks, and the level required depends on the job. Basic level might be enough for research posts, but you’ll most likely need enhanced DBS for support worker/nursing jobs. Do you already have some sort of equivalent check from India? Employers are likely to request this if you have been living abroad.
Thank you, I'll just wait then. I don't have any equivalent check from India because they don't have that system. They go with your national ID number and run their basic employment checks. I'll just have to undergo the DBS check when asked for.

Ekorn

Post by Ekorn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:45 pm

shikha1263 wrote:
Thank you, I'll just wait then. I don't have any equivalent check from India because they don't have that system. They go with your national ID number and run their basic employment checks. I'll just have to undergo the DBS check when asked for.
Here is a guide for "Application processes for obtaining overseas criminality information to provide to employers in the United Kingdom or
to meet the requirements of the United Kingdom Immigration Rules to provide an overseas criminal record certificate in support of a visa application"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... CE_G-P.pdf