After finishing my psychology degree, should I do a masters or get work experience?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
neurogirl17

After finishing my psychology degree, should I do a masters or get work experience?

Post by neurogirl17 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Hello,

I have just finishes my placement as a honorary assistant neuropsychologicalogist. I am now going to my final year. My plan after graduation is to apply for an assistant post or psychology well being practitioner. Or whatever is linked to psychology. Then save up money to either go on the clinical docrerate or do a masters.

But I have other friends who have decided to go straight into masters. So my question is, is a masters useful or should I get more experience first ?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: After finishing my psychology degree, should I do a masters or get work experience?

Post by Geishawife » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:23 pm

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about such things at this stage. Given you still have another year of your degree to go, so at this stage I would strongly recommend you focus on getting the best grade possible in your degree. A good undergrad grade makes the next stage easier, so focus on that, on the here and now, and let the future take care of itself.

Reem

Re: After finishing my psychology degree, should I do a masters or get work experience?

Post by Reem » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi Neurogirl,

That's a great question that many people ask when going into final year.
It can be easy to get caught up in applying for masters, especially when everyone else is talking about it!
My personal opinion is that it's best to get some experience first. I work in the private mental health sector as an Assistant Psychologist and am moving into a PWP role within the NHS- I don't have a masters or any other kind of postgrad study. I would recommend getting experience for these reasons
1) We recently hired 4 new APs after holding an interview day after receiving around 60 applications. We did not consider anyone with no experience working in the field. This may be a coincidence, but out of the 4 who were successful, only one had an MSc. No amount of academic experience can prepare you for working in the field with self- harmers, challenging behaviour, working with and treating patients with schizophrenia, EUPD, BPD etc.
2) Many find themselves overqualified for junior level roles such as Support Worker or Healthcare Assistant- these are the positions I personally think everyone should have some experience in before choosing to pursue a role in the field. The roles may not be glamorous but throw you in the deep end (especially if working in a secure ward), prepare you for what's to come and put you on the front-line with direct contact with patients. Make sure you know clinical psychology is the way for you before committing to a masters in that specific sector.
3) There's always time to do postgraduate study later!
Again, this is my personal opinion and others may have a different view but I hope this helps.
Good luck!
Reem