Postgrad degree- Research

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
SamXO

Postgrad degree- Research

Post by SamXO » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Hello All,
A bit of background. im wanting to do clinical psychology. I graduated with a 2:1 in Psychology (BSc) and thereafter I spent 6 months working in a residential setting with people with dementia and now I am a clinical support worker in an assessment and treatment unit for people with Learning Disabilities. Ive been in this job for over a year now and recently I've started applying for other support worker jobs or even AP jobs with only a couple of interviews and not any success.

I feel quite stuck so the purpose of this post is to get advice around post graduate research. I know its expensive but I don't mind getting a loan. Im considering doing a research based one as it'll be great to get more research experience and from what ive read; research experience is highly valued in AP's and when applying for the clinical psychology doctorate. Advice from anyone who's gone down this path before? is this a good idea or just a waste of money?
Thanks!
Sam

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Postgrad degree- Research

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:41 pm

What was your degree percentage? Have you had some feedback on your applications? Based on the applications I receive and review, I'd bet it is what you are writing rather than your qualifications that is the problem.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

SamXO

Post by SamXO » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Hi Miriam, thanks for replying. It’s usually a case of someone with more experience or not answering the questions thoroughly enough (interview stress).
Thanks

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:35 pm

If you are getting interviews then it isn't a lack of qualifications either, so I'd focus on interview preparations and mock interviews.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com