Do I need to do a masters?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
LDillon

Do I need to do a masters?

Post by LDillon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:50 pm

I know everything is so subjective but I am really struggling with whether not doing a masters will make it impossible to get into the doctorate at any point.

I have a high 2:1 in my psychology undergrad, was a PWP for 3 years and now a Senior PWP for a year. I have very little research experience outside of my undergraduate project and a brief honorary research assistant role. I am going to apply to the HI intensity CBT training this year as well.

I just dont know if at some point it may be necessary to go back to uni and do a Masters?

Mephistofela

Re: Do I need to do a masters?

Post by Mephistofela » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:32 am

Perhaps you could initially consider some of the clinical courses that place less emphasis on research at the application stage? Alternatively you could also look for research assistant-type posts, having one of these might be enough to evidence your academic skills, especially since you already had a high 2:1.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:39 pm

There are many threads on this issue if you use the search function.

In short, it is not necessary to complete a masters. However, it could help your chances and improve your research skills.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:11 am

Or you could find a way to do a piece of research at work, or take one session per week out to work in a university or with a CP with active research interests - it would be a lot cheaper and less time consuming whilst still proving your academic credentials. But if you are going to do the HI training it might all be moot anyway, as that is a different career path.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com