Books available for review

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
mali

Re: Books available for review

Post by mali »

I wouldn't mind the Neuropsychology of autism book to review.
greg

Post by greg »

Hi guys,

Below is an updated list of all the books we have available to review:

~ The Sublime Object of Psychiatry: Schizophrenia in Clinical and Cultural Theory - Angela Woods
~ Evaluation for Personal Injury - Andrew W. Kane & Joel A. Dvoskin
~ Starving the Anger Gremlin: A Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook on Anger Management for Young People - Kate Collins-Donnelly
~ Child Protection Systems in the United Kingdom: A Comparative Analysis - Anne Stafford, Nigel Parton & Sharon Vincent et al.
~ Understanding Costs and Outcomes in Child Welfare Services: A Comprehensive Costing Approach to Managing Your Resources - Lisa Holmes & Samantha McDermid
~ Making Sense - Psychology: A Student's Guide to Research and Writing - Margot Northey & Brian Timney
~ Little Volcanoes: Helping Young Children and Their Parents to Deal with Anger - Warwick Pudney & Eliane Whitehouse
~ Friendship and Other Weapons: Group Activities to Help Young Girls Aged 5-11 to Cope with Bullying - Signe Whitson
~ The Big Book of Therapeutic Activity Ideas For Children and Teens: Inspiring Arts Based Activities and Character Education Curricula - Lindsey Joiner
~ Neurobiology of Mental Illness (3rd Edition) - Ed. by Dennis S. Charney & Eric J. Nestler [MASSIVE BOOK]

If you are interested in any of these just reply on here and I will get back to you. Before comitting to reviewing any of these books make sure you have read the Guidance for reviewers section.

Greg :)
BlueGems

Post by BlueGems »

Happy to review the following if still available:

Making Sense - Psychology: A Student's Guide to Research and Writing - Margot Northey & Brian Timney
"Fear less, and hope more; whine less, and breathe more; talk less, and listen more; and hate less, so you can love more" ~author unknown~
polkadotpig

Post by polkadotpig »

I would be happy to review this book if still available:
Child Protection Systems in the United Kingdom: A Comparative Analysis - Anne Stafford, Nigel Parton & Sharon Vincent et al.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

How are our reviewers getting along? I'm starting to get chased by the publishers who supplied the books for copies of our reviews!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
schizometric

Post by schizometric »

The Neuropsychoanalysis one is extremely hardcore almost to the point of being unreadable (despite (I thought) knowing a reasonable amount about psychoanalysis, neuroscience and neuropsychology...!). You are welcome to feed that back while I continue to attempt to plough through it, or alternatively someone else can try, but I have read/am in the process of reading 2 more accessible books on the topic for a presentation in a couple of weeks so hopefully I should be reasonably well placed for it soon, and if not, well, that speaks volumes either for the book itself or for my intellectual capacities (or lack thereof). If it's the latter I will extricate myself from the profession post-haste :P

Apologies for the delay...
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
defunktion

Post by defunktion »

Are there any left? The ones directed for interventions with children particularly interest me (any one of..);

The Big Book of Therapeutic Activity Ideas For Children and Teens: Inspiring Arts Based Activities and Character Education Curricula - Lindsey Joiner

Little Volcanoes: Helping Young Children and Their Parents to Deal with Anger - Warwick Pudney & Eliane Whitehouse

Starving the Anger Gremlin: A Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook on Anger Management for Young People - Kate Collins-Donnelly

I'm assuming that they want the texts reviewed independently (rather than a compare/contrast from workbook to workbook?). I have read the terms and conditions for writing reviews, is there a general consensus regarding the length a review ought to be?

Thanks
When all you have is a hammer...
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Schizometric - I think that's the beginning of a helpful review!

Defunktion, I'll ask Greg to check the remaining books and post an update. We want reviews of 400-800 words, so nothing very long unless its extraordinarily worth discussing in depth. We just need them turned around and the books returned in a reasonable time-scale (4-6 weeks)
Miriam

StevenMac

Post by StevenMac »

My review is almost complete, just some fine-tuning etc.

I was wondering what the return address for the books was again? I can work on from my notes from here.

Orangeade31

Post by Orangeade31 »

Does anyone know the return address? Mine is ready to be sent back! :)
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

I've PMed both of you :)
Miriam

Orangeade31

Post by Orangeade31 »

Thanks Miriam! Who shall we send our finished reviews to?

Cheers!
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

You can post them in this forum section or email them to clinpsyforum@gmail.com
Miriam

Will
Team Member

Post by Will »

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about the one I'm supposed to be doing - it's just been pushed down the priorities list recently with interview prep etc.

I'll get it done soon :D
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis
defunktion

Post by defunktion »

I'm stalling. Help. All I can think of is negative comments about my book. How not to be so scathing? I think I'll have to write two reviews just so my inner stream of consciousness has somewhere to go.
When all you have is a hammer...