Personal professional development day 2013

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
miriam
Site Admin

Personal professional development day 2013

Post by miriam » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Following on from the positive feedback from last year's event (see here) I was wondering whether there would be interest in having a similar event this year for people applying for training in 2013? The date we have pencilled in would be Tuesday 5th February, and the venue would be our offices in Milton Keynes. I was thinking of charging the same £25 as last year, and still putting it to a good cause - but this time wondered about a good cause we have within our social enterprise - allowing us to provide free or low cost therapy for people who have experienced childhood adversity or who are struggling to offer a secure attachment relationship to their baby.

The day would be similar to last year, and designed to give experience of each component of the typical clinical interview day: clinical, personal and research interviews, group tasks and dealing with vignettes. It is designed to be a positive experience that lets you practise and refine your skills within a supportive environment, with constructive feedback.

In terms of format, we would repeat a similar day to last year, but with a few subtle changes based on the feedback received (a 2 minute limit to the introductions 'elevator pitch' task, to allow more time to tackle interview questions). We would keep the group task, small presentations in relation to clinical and research vignettes and ending with peer/interviewer feedback.

We would limit each session to 15 places, and if there is more demand we would make a second date a few weeks later.

Please post here or PM me if you want details of how to book, or if you came last year and have comments about whether this would be a good experience for others.

Note: I'm going to resist taking any credit for the success rate of last year's delegates, as they were a self-selected strong group of applicants and we have no evidence as to whether coming to our day had any impact on their outcomes
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Gilly

Re: Personal professional development day 2013

Post by Gilly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:30 pm

as someone who was at last years professional development day - I can highly recommend it as a way of focusing your mind on the process, having a good opportunity to meet other like-minded individuals and practice speaking about yourself and your achievements to a group. You will also get feedback about yourself, honest, constructive feedback which I know many of last years participants went away with and reflected on, and really found useful.

Its an incredibly welcoming experience, and since I also know Miriam and the others who i suspect will be facilitating this, its something that i would strongly recommend - its not like some AP groups where the feeling is of competition with those around you, its really supportive.

(sorry this is rushed - on lunchbreak! :) )
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:39 pm

I qould like to sign up to this please :-)

sar302

Post by sar302 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:45 pm

I would be very interested in this, yes please!
Never assume that the other fellow has the intelligence to match yours... he may have more...

Cushtie

Post by Cushtie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 pm

I am really interested and would like to take part!i think it's a great idea :D

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello Miriam, I tried to send a private message to you today, but I'm relatively new here and I'm not too sure if it sent properly. So I thought I'd leave a message on this post too. I would be really interested in attending, it looks like a fantastic opportunity. Thanks for putting this together!

Jennifer

noodle

Post by noodle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Just to add to Gilly's points - I thought it was a really helpful day last year and was good practise for actual interviews and I feel it really helped with my confidence.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 pm

So far I've sent payment details to 7 people who have expressed an interest today, so if these all lead to payment that might mean half the slots are gone already in just a few hours! If you are interested and please book quickly. Priority given to people applying this year, but provided you are a graduate intending to get on clinical training at some point soon you can apply, as the skills learnt would also be relevant to AP and other graduate psychology interviews.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

pinkaliengoo

Post by pinkaliengoo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 am

I would be really interested in this too - thank you for organising it!

Harriet

NewGirl

Post by NewGirl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Miriam,

Please can I sign up to the development day too! Sounds like a fanstastic opportunity.

fancyflamingo

Post by fancyflamingo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 pm

I have just read the comments from last year and sounds like a fabulous opportunity. Miriam, thank you for donating your time and experience, its very much appreciated. I would love to join the group as am applying for training this year!I have sent you a PM to ask for details on how to make a payment to sign up for the day.

Thanks!

flamingo

janewah

Post by janewah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for organising this Miriam. This sounds great, unfortunately a little too far for me but looking forward to hearing the feedback again this year. :)

bicycleclips

Post by bicycleclips » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Miriam

Another vote from me too please, this looked really interesting last year.

Thanks,
Bicycleclips
You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones

JCBird

Post by JCBird » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Miriam

This sounds great and I am very interested in attending. Please let me know how I can book a place.

Thank you for organising something so useful - I must of missed this last year otherwise I definitely would have come!

JB

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm

JCBird wrote:... Please let me know how I can book a place.
Think you just need to PM Miriam for the payment details, and then pay! :D
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."