Personal and professional development days 2014

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:41 am

We will once again be offering personal and professional development days at Milton Keynes for anyone applying for clinical training or wanting to prepare for interviews. See information about previous days here.

We are keeping the cost low and still putting it to a good cause within our social enterprise - allowing us to provide free or low cost therapy for people who have experienced childhood adversity or who are struggling to offer a secure attachment relationship to their baby.

The day would be similar to last year, and designed to give experience of each component of the typical clinical interview day: clinical, personal and research interviews, group tasks and dealing with vignettes. It is designed to be a positive experience that lets you practise and refine your skills within a supportive environment, with constructive feedback from your peers and the facilitator. We will limit each session to 15 places, to allow plenty of individual attention and participation.

For 2014 applicants we have 2 dates on offer:

Friday 24th January 2014
Monday 24th February 2014

You can book by making payment and emailing john@lifepsychol.co.uk to get your information pack and pick your preferred date. We will update on this post as each date sells out, but based on previous years we expect a high level of demand and would recommend early booking.

The minimum donation to attend is £29 per person, payable through LocalGiving to the therapy subsidy fund of our social enterprise, Evolving Families.

As always I'm going to resist taking any credit for the success rate of last year's delegates, as they were a self-selected strong group of applicants and we have no evidence as to whether coming to our day had any impact on their outcomes. But please feel free to post here if you have attended a previous session and have comments about whether this would be a good experience for others. Likewise, if you have any questions feel free to post on this thread.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

AnonymousMouse

Re: Personal and professional development days 2014

Post by AnonymousMouse » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks for doing this again Miriam - I saw the feedback from last year, and it looks great! I'll definitely be attending, but I'll hold off paying until Tuesday so that you get the extra :wink:

The Mouse

jjmaher87

Post by jjmaher87 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi all,

I just want to clarify something about the donation information set out above. As Miriam has said, there is a 'grow your tenner' day on the 15th October for all donations. I just want to be really clear that this applies only to donations made on that exact date. It's not really an 'early-bird' discount per se. I think there has been some confusion, based on a couple of emails I have received, where people have made two £12 donations today and we are missing out on the extra government funded money as it is too early (as well as under-paying as the minimum donation is £29!)

There might be some apprehension arising as people feel that the payment is needed to secure their attendance at a day. I think it's useful to emphasise at the moment that the best way to do things is to email me (john@lifepsychol.co.uk) with a preferred date of attendance and I will reserve a space for you, give you a booking form and then please please please hang on and donate on 15th October so we can take advantage of that awesome LocalGiving offer! Then send me the booking form and proof of donation. Thanks!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:46 am

PLEASE PAY NOW if you are planning to come on these days, as it is today (as long as the funds last) that we get the extra tenner if you donate in the way described above.
Miriam

munshi

Post by munshi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:44 pm

For those of you still to pay, the opportunity to make a bigger donation is still there - the Local Giving website is still matching donations until the pot is empty so it's not too late :-)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:57 am

And one more prompt for those wavering, as the 'grow your tenner' promotion has been extended for a few more days...
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:48 pm

There are still some places left on this. Priority will be given to people applying this year, but provided you are a graduate intending to get on clinical training at some point soon you can apply, as the skills learnt would also be relevant to AP and other graduate psychology interviews.
Miriam

Jaydemma

Post by Jaydemma » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:51 pm

All donated and really looking foward to the day!

Orangeade31

Post by Orangeade31 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi all. I've only just seen this and would really like to attend the day in February. I am not applying this year, but hoping to next year. Are there any places still left in February?

Thanks!

enid

Post by enid » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:47 pm

I forgot to say that I will be attending in Feb also. Place already booked and donation made :) Great idea. Look forward to it.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Orangeade31 wrote:Are there any places still left in February?
Yes, there are a few places left on each day.
Miriam

NaomiS

Post by NaomiS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:34 pm

I want to reserve two spaces if any are left, but I don't want to pay the money until I know for sure they are available! Is there any information on who is facilitating it this year?

katywithawhy

Post by katywithawhy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Hello Miriam!

Hope you are well. My colleague and I are looking forward to attending the PPD day in January - is it possible for you to confirm the start and finish times please? I've trawled through all the information I have and can't seem to find confirmation of times...

Thanks very much in advance

Katy :)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 pm

NaomiS wrote:I want to reserve two spaces if any are left, but I don't want to pay the money until I know for sure they are available! Is there any information on who is facilitating it this year?
I can't believe that who is facilitating is mysterious, given I've done this and talked about it and posted about it throughout.

Don't worry, I'll announce when all the places are gone.

Normal start and finish times are 9.30 to 4.30, but often a proportion of people choose to stay a little longer so that I've got time for everybody to get individual feedback.
Miriam

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:08 pm

I have just discovered this thread!
Thank you very much for organising this Miriam.
I'll will book the day off when I see my supervisor on Monday, and hopefully get to meet you all 3 weeks today :)
The time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men. (Leonardo da Vinci)