Free Lectures on ethics and morals in psychology

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
maven
Site Admin

Free Lectures on ethics and morals in psychology

Post by maven » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:51 pm

Free Public Lecture Series:

The Right Stuff:
Ethics and Moral Psychology

by
Professor Gwen Adshead
Visiting Gresham Professor of Psychiatry

The Right Stuff: How Do We Make Moral Choices?
Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 6pm – 7pm, Museum of London, EC2Y 5HN
This lecture will review developments in moral psychology over the last two decades – specifically, the neuroscience of moral decision-making, and the implications of this research for ethical issues such as moral responsibility. There will be a particular focus on the capacity to make unwise decisions that are unpopular with others; and the question of whether values can be taken out of the research into moral choice-making. Questions will be asked about the implications of this work for training in medical ethics.
http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-e ... al-choices

The Right Stuff: Information, Privacy and the Ethics of Disclosure
Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 6pm – 7pm, Museum of London, EC2Y 5HN
Personal information is understood as the property of individuals, especially in the domain of health care, and no information can be disclosed without permission of its ‘owner’. This raises questions about the ethics of information sharing, and our identity as social animals who are connected by discussion and conversation. Dilemmas about information sharing will be discussed in relation to (a) research and (b) the management of risk in health care.
http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-e ... disclosure

The Right Stuff: How Do We Make ‘Good’ Doctors?
Wednesday, 14th June 2017, 6pm – 7pm, Museum of London, EC2Y 5HN
In this talk, the concept of the ‘good’ doctor will be explored and how we can ensure that our doctors are ‘good’. This questions is crucial at time when morale in the health services appears low and inquiries reveal poor practice by some health care professionals. I will discuss the implications of these developments for the teaching of medical ethics, at both senior and junior levels. The idea of ‘virtue’ in medical practice will be considered, and how this may be linked to professional identify and responsibility.
http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-e ... od-doctors

All lectures will last for one hour. The lectures are free and open to all on a “first come, first served” basis.

All lectures will be recorded and released on the Gresham College website after they have taken place. Here they join the free online archive of over 2,000 lectures stretching back over 30 years. www.gresham.ac.uk
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Tyrus27

Re: Free Lectures on ethics and morals in psychology

Post by Tyrus27 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Maven

Thanks for sharing this. They all sound fab. Unfortunately being in the North East, I doubt I'd be able to get down for them. But thanks for sharing the link to the videos as well; even just from a quick scan of them, there's loads I'm keen to watch!

:)

Tyrus

Misfit

Re: Free Lectures on ethics and morals in psychology

Post by Misfit » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Thank you for this information. I've just checked my diary and I have a day off when the first lecture takes place, and a late the day after, so will be able to attend :) x