Professional development days 2019

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
miriam
Site Admin

Professional development days 2019

Post by miriam » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Following previous successful personal and professional development days in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018 we are now booking places at our Professional Development days for 2019.

This is a full day of experiential training for graduate psychologists applying for clinical training courses or considering doing so in the future, who wish to think about their personal and professional development and engage in activities that might assist preparation for future interviews. There will be chances to discuss clinical and research vignettes, contribute to group tasks and answer mock interview questions, as well as to learn from peer and trainer feedback. Previous workshop delegates have said:
It really was so helpful to go through the tasks and meet fellow applicants
It was extremely helpful and great to practise the questions!
It was a great day. Thank you so much. Definitely confirmed to me that I'm on the right path, which is a nice thing to know.
This training rocked!!!
It really helped to build my confidence and I feel like it contributed to my later success at interview, thank you!
You can read other reviews or comments about the day on the forum here, here, here and here.

Facilitator
Dr Miriam Silver, Consultant Clinical Psychologist, is the founder of clinpsy.org.uk and has been involved in the career development of psychologists for nearly two decades. She worked in NHS CAMH services and also in social care settings, as well as being founding clinical director of a parenting charity and clinical director of a large residential care provider. She has provided expert witness reports for over 250 cases in the family court, and has been active in policy and committee work for the BPS and ACP, including contributing to NICE guidance and a select committee hearing. Dr Silver presents regularly at conferences and has trained thousands of professionals with consistently positive feedback. She is a highly regarded speaker and trainer. She wrote the book "Attachment in Common Sense and Doodles". She is also currently promoting the use of regular outcome measurements and improved clinical governance across services for Looked After Children.

Aims
The aim of this event is to to help the process of reflection and development for early career stage psychologists, and increase self-awareness and self-confidence with regard to interview questions and tasks; the target audience is psychology graduates, particularly those who have applied for the clinical psychology doctorate.

Each event is limited to 18 places, and based on past years they will sell out fast, so we will keep a waiting list and try to add additional events if required.

First date is 20th March in Matlock, and will be our cheapest date at £35 per person (£30 per person for under-represented minorities or members of the webinar group)

This is a low cost date in our own office space in Matlock, Derbyshire. This is a relatively easy venue to get to by car, with free parking, but I am aware it is not easy by public transport as the trains to Matlock are infrequent and the station is just over a mile from the office (20 minutes walk). So I hope that you are able to come in groups and/or lift-share as much as possible.

We will also run the day in Hoburn in London on 21st March at £55 per person (£50 per person for under-represented minorities or members of the webinar group) This is a very central venue, with good public transport links. The additional cost is relatively modest for a central London venue.

Places are filling up quickly, so book your place now at:
Matlock bookings
London bookings

All profits will go towards the purchase of an interactive whiteboard for a local primary school.

A small booking fee will be added to the ticket price, however this has been reduced because these are non-profit events. Booking is being managed through Tickets for Good, who have a project to donate tickets to people who might otherwise be socially excluded, and also donate a percentage of their profits to good causes.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Professional development days 2019

Post by miriam » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:11 am

Apologies for the error in the dates, which has now been corrected.
Miriam

Flyte10

Post by Flyte10 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi Miriam,
I have just discovered that these development days are running next week and am very keen to attend one (I have 2 interviews this year). I was wondering if it is likely that you will be holding any other sessions after the 2 next week? I'm based in Scotland so may be a bit pressed to get time off and travel to one next Wed or Thurs. However, if it's likely that it will only be these 2 which are running this year, I will try my hardest to come along to 1 of them (that's if there are still spaces).
Many thanks!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm afraid these are likely to be it, as I have a really full calendar of other work commitments competing this year, but I appreciate it is quite far to travel and now quite short notice.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:22 am

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed these two days. I was very impressed by the quality of the people who attended, and I wish you all luck with your interviews. Let me know how they go.

I have now sent the feedback form and some comments to everyone who came to the London day (as we got kicked out the room before I could do verbal feedback) but I don't have a working email address for one person, so please PM me your email address if you haven't received my emails.
Miriam