Assistant Groups

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
ChickpeaPsych

Re: Assistant Groups

Post by ChickpeaPsych » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Derbyshire Group.

Just thought I'd post in case there was interest in a semi-monthly meet up with fellow AP's, psychology graduates or other interested bods. I run a small group from Chesterfield and so far we've had Q & A sessions with a trainee CP and another with a CP on the admissions board for the doctorate. As our group as taken a recent sudden surge in new members, my next meeting is on "peer mentoring". With the idea we get chance to have introductions and swap stories on current and previous experiences.

If anyone is interested PM me and I can give you the details of our next meeting and add you to our mailing list.

:)

Emma

Post by Emma » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Beth wrote:Hi blue cat. Apologises that I'm seeing this too late. But I have recently moved to a Birmingham job. And as far as I could tell there is no West Midlands group any more (it was massive a couple of years ago) there is a group of us in BSMHFT that meet regularly but in future I'm happy to circulate info via the global list.
Hi Beth. I too have recently moved to a Birmingham job and was looking to join an assistants group in the area. You said that there is a group of you in BSMHFT that meet regularly. Is this a closed group or would you be open to outsiders coming in? I am working for a private company and there are some assistants that I meet internally, but it would also be good to meet others from outside the company.

If anyone else knows of any groups in or around Birmingham that I could join, could you let me know?

Thank you

snailboots

Post by snailboots » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Beth,

I'm also interested in meeting with an assistants group in Birmingham, I'm a voluntary assistant psychologist with a private company, and would also like to know whether the meetings you have are open to everyone?

Thank you

missfionajill

Post by missfionajill » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Surrey Group

There is an AP Group that runs in Surrey as part of Surrey and Borders NHS Foundation Trust. It meets monthly on the 3rd Tuesday of every month and is open to anyone outside of the SABP Trust every other month. The meeting location varies but for the last few months has been held in Chertsey and in Epsom. For anyone interested in attending or being put on the mailing list please feel free to email me at fiona.thornton@sabp.nhs.uk.
We are also in the process of setting up a facebook group for anyone interested which you can find here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 676321741/

kas505

Post by kas505 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Hello, are there any other assistants in/near Exeter area? Would be good to get in contact :)

LuckyG89

Post by LuckyG89 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:40 pm

Dorset Pre-Qualified Psych Group

Hey all, so we have set up a Dorset Pre-Qualified Psych group which has now been running since December and have 16 members around Dorset in different services and roles....if anyone is interested in attending or would like to contribute please feel free to contact us.....Here is a little blurb about the group:

The group has been created with the intention to share and discuss ideas, knowledge and learning. The group aims to be friendly and supportive rather than competitive and the onus is on issues related to clinical psychology theory and practice. We have speakers on a range of issues at each session and there is also opportunity for group members to present on topics of their choice. We also provide peer support through a unique mentor scheme and learning opportunities in connection with the South West Learning for Health, Wessex Assistants Group and Dorset HealthCare Learning and Development. We welcome any pre-qualified psychologist (assistant, trainee, research, support workers etc..) or anyone willing to do a presentation or support the group. We meet every 3 months in different venues.

Our next meeting is on 12th June! Contact me for any information (lucky.ganatra@dhuft.nhs.uk)

rosieanna

Post by rosieanna » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Anyone interested in setting up an AP group in Birmingham? Unless there is already one going?

Also does anyone know any details about the Coventry/Warwick AP group?

Rosie

slimbuzz

Post by slimbuzz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi, just an update on the North East NRGPG the group is now found under the NEPF (North East Psychological Forum) the group isn't just specific to AP's but to individuals with a range of interests within psychology. We hold talks and events in varying aspects with all welcome to join. If you would like to get in touch you can email us on nepfmail@gmail.com or find us on Facebook.

Cheers

Fhafeez

Post by Fhafeez » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Hello All

I have just moved to North London and was wondering if there were any AP groups meeting around the north and central London areas?

Randall

Post by Randall » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire group.

Here are the details of our next session if anyone is interested:

'Multiple Perspectives of Training: The good, the bad and the ugly'
Presented by Alice, 2nd year Oxford trainee & Sarah, 3rd year Exeter trainee.

Wednesday, 13th August 2014 at 5.30pm at The Fulbrook Centre, Churchill Drive, Oxford.

-----

Please email assistantsgroup@gmail.com if you want to be added to the list. Our next group will be either 25th or 26th of Sept and Dr Lindsey Roberts will be talking on using MRI scans for stroke detection and her related research in this area (among many other things from the AP group).

I currently run this but a trusted colleauge and friend will be taking over come Sept. It is a good group, ranging in size from 6-12, with many others expressing interest (but dates not working out etc.).

kathleen

Trent Assistants Group

Post by kathleen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:35 am

Hi,
please could you update the info for the Trent Assistants Group? The title is now "Nottingham Trent Assistants Group" and meetings are usually held on the last Wednesday of the month at the University of Nottingham. To be added to the mailing list please send an email to: trentassistantsgroup@ googlemail.com (delete space)

Many thanks

nesspsychol

Post by nesspsychol » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:53 am

astra wrote:If someone from the Leeds Assistant group wanted to PM me I might be able to come to a meeting and talk about selection training and working as a CP.

Hi Astra,

There was an assistant group that was usually held in Leeds. If its the same meeting, this then changed as most of the assistants got on doctorate courses. This has developed over the years and is now the Yorkshires Aspiring Clinical Psychologist group. We are not specific to assistants and have students and health care assistants attending. There is a bit more information on the BPS website, and we usually meet on the last Wednesday of each month, 3-5pm and meet in a variety of locations depending on who is hosting that month. I am now the chair of the meeting and we always welcome new members and guest speakers, if you or anyone would like more information or to be added to our mailing list please contact me on vanessa.melton@nhs.net

Kind regards,

Vanessa

bengibbons11

Post by bengibbons11 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Worcestershire Pre-Training/Assistant Psychologist Group

We meet once a month either at Worcestershire Royal Hospital or University of Worcester usually on a Wednesday 10am-12pm.

Our sessions vary from invited guest speakers, group discussions about certain topics/issues, sessions dedicated to the application process of the Doctorate and more.

New members very welcome! If you would like to be added to the mailing list please email Ben Gibbons (current chair) - gibb1_11@uni.worc.ac.uk

Hunker

Post by Hunker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Same as the person above, I'm interested in an AP group in London

Thanks! :D

enid

Post by enid » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:10 pm

There are several - north and south.