Assistant Groups

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
Will
Team Member

Re: Assistant Groups

Post by Will » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks Bobgirl...I'll leave it up for now until someone can tell me who the new chair is!
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Will wrote:Hi, there's a list on the first page of the thread - there's an email contact for a Birmingham group :)
Hi Will,

I dont think that the birmingham groups meets any more. I personally sent several emails, when I moved to my current post (18 months ago) and got nothing back.

I have set up an assistant psychologist group for Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust employees. So as long as someone has a contract with the trust they can come to the meeting, the only exception being for those who are undergrad students on their placement year. Sorry that it is not open beyond the trust, but it was hard enough to get one going within the trust I couldnt face trying to set one up wider then that.

I'm happy for people to PM for details :D

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks Beth, I'll add that to the front page. If you have an email address you can list, let me know and I'll put that on too.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:51 am

Hi will,

Can you just make one change - its not open to undergrads on their placement year unfortunitly. this was decided by group members.

thanks
beth

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Beth wrote:Hi will,

Can you just make one change - its not open to undergrads on their placement year unfortunitly. this was decided by group members.

thanks
beth

Just out of sheer nosey curiosity, any reason for this? I only wonder as sometimes AP groups can want to be exclusive but it can lead to a furthering of the 'ivory tower' around clinical psychology and limit people's access to understanding of our field. There may have been amazingly good reasons in your case, I just wondered! :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:54 pm

It was initally suggested by my supervisor at the time when I intially set this up.

I then took it to one of our intial meetings and those there also agreed. One of the aims of the group was peer support, as well as sharing experiences. in our speciality the placement students have regular training seessions where they often stay afterwards to discuss their placements (so i am lead to believe - i personally do not work with a placement student in this trust) So it was felt that the placement students already have a space to do what we were hoping to achieve. Some people also felt that it may casue more anxieties around application time, which we have tried to reduce as much as possible, and I think we have managed to keep anxieties low and for the group to be a place where all aspects of our roles and current and post experiences are discussed.

I feel like my explanation may not sound very strong, but the group works well with the set up we have, it feels very supportive and that everyone understands what others are going through and also offers advice and support from previous experiences. I'm not saying that placement students couldnt offer and benefit from this either, but it was felt that this would work best for the way we wanted the group to be.

I hope that offers some explanation behind our thoughts at the time.

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Sorry Beth, I misread your post. I've changed it!

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply Beth :) Again, I'm just being curious!
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Amina

Assistant groups Sussex/Brighton?

Post by Amina » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Hello!

Just wondering if there are any assistant groups in Sussex - if not, does anyone fancy starting one up?!

Will
Team Member

Re: Assistant groups Sussex/Brighton?

Post by Will » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:38 pm

Amina wrote:Hello!

Just wondering if there are any assistant groups in Sussex - if not, does anyone fancy starting one up?!
Hi Amina, did you spot the post on the first page of this thread? There's a contact email for a group in Sussex:
Will wrote: Sussex
To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Rachel Wilkinson, on Rachel.Wilkinson@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk
:)

Amina

Post by Amina » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi Will!

The email isn't working - I gather she's left her post now...............Hmm, I could just call the CAMHS number and see who I get, (something to do later this week) but was hoping I'd find someone on here who was keen on creating a group or actively involved in one!

Thanks,

Amina

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Ah possibly. If you manage to get hold of anyone let me know and I'll update the page :)

LaurenS

Post by LaurenS » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Bristol and Bath AP Group

The email address for the Bristol and Bath AP Group continues to be: bristol.bath.ap@googlemail.com

Aless, Hannah, Emily and I (Lauren) have recently taken over the running of the group.

We have monthly meetings which consist of journal reviews, peer supervision, speakers and social events.

Anyone wishing to join, please email the address above to be added to our mailing list.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Unfortunately the Berkshire group email doesn't work - does anyone know of an assistant group in Reading / Berkshire? I'm moving to Reading in a few weeks and was hoping to join a group and meet some other psychology people :)

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:16 pm

^ Yep, really good assistant group in Reading, though I don't manage to go as often as I'd like to!

I don't know of a generic email address, but the most recent emails tend to come from: Serena.Sharma@berkshire.nhs.uk

Next group is Friday 4th September, though I'm not sure of future dates beyond that. They tend to be monthly though. :)