Supporting Statement

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
roslo

Supporting Statement

Post by roslo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Would anyone be willing to send me an example of supporting statement for a job application?

I just want something that I can base mine on, I believe I have been doing something wrong as I don't get to have any interview invitations. I know I am not giving my best to the supporting statement, but I believe that's also because English is not my first language so it feels like a barrier for my creativity in this case.

I would really appreciate if someone would help me! I'm clueless of what to write sometimes and is especially difficult to meet each specification of the PS. Isn't it boring for the person reading the application to read it being repeated all over in a letter?

Thanks!
:D :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Supporting Statement

Post by maven » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:06 pm

This is not permitted by the forum rules. You can post up your application or ask if anyone is willing to review it, but it is against our rules to solicit or provide applications or information about interviews/tasks or to act in any way that would undermine the selection process.

Plus, importantly, an application is about you. Your experiences and what you learnt from them.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

roslo

Post by roslo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 pm

maven wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:06 pm
This is not permitted by the forum rules. You can post up your application or ask if anyone is willing to review it, but it is against our rules to solicit or provide applications or information about interviews/tasks or to act in any way that would undermine the selection process.

Plus, importantly, an application is about you. Your experiences and what you learnt from them.
Hi, I am sorry. I think I missed that part.

Thank you anyway!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 am

With a supporting statement, the trick is not to repeat points from the person spec, but to provide illustrative examples of how you meet them. So you wouldn't write, "I have good interpersonal skills," but something like, "In my previous role as a Macmillan nurse, I supported many families who were very distressed over their relative's terminal diagnosis and who were sometimes angry and anxious during our meetings. I responded to this by..." and then give practical examples of what you did. That shows what your interpersonal skills actually look like. It's not enough to say you've got them.

It's not possible to do this for every point on the PS if it's very long, of course - some of them go on for pages. In that case I pick out the criteria that are most essential for the job, and make sure I provide illustrative examples for those. I want my covering letter to give a sense of me as a person and to show that I have really looked into the service I'm applying for, and the personal stories and reflections seem to help with that. I know some people like to use bullet pointed lists that clearly show how they've met the criteria in the PS, but I find that a bit robotic-looking - I like my statement to flow as a narrative. I suppose it's a question of finding what works for you. My strategy gets me a fair number of interviews.

Although it's against forum rules for anyone to provide you with a template, bear in mind that there are people at the Job Centre who offer help with CVs and cover letters. I've never used those services myself, so I don't know how useful they are, but you could enquire there and see if anyone would look over a previous application of yours and give you some general feedback on how you might improve it.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 am

If the application form has a section for how you meet the person spec then the covering letter is just a short thing saying you are enthused about the job, and one or two highlights that you bring in your application. The supporting statement is how your experiences give you the skills they require - not a list of what you have done, like the CV or application form. There shouldn't be loads of duplication between documents.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

roslo

Post by roslo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks to you both. That is very helpful!