Help finding a 2 day post

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Randall

Help finding a 2 day post

Post by Randall » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:57 am

Hi all

I know this may be slightly cheeky, but if anyone catches wind of any part-time/2-day posts coming up, please let me know. I am starting a MSc in Sept and the tutor has advised me that I would want to work only 2 days maximum. Since this advise I have only seen full-time posts! I was offered a 3 day post in my home town but had to decline because of the advise of my prospective tutor...

Thank you kindly :|

EDIT: Sorry I realise I have posted this into 'job adverts'...moderators, please accept the apologies!

LucyM

Re: Help finding a 2 day post

Post by LucyM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi Randall

I don't know where you are based or any details about this particular role, but.. https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob. ... ID=2517881

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Wow, thanks Lucy...That is the exact sort of post I was looking for. Did you just notice that online? or are you currently in post there? Would be interested in having a chat if it is the latter! :D

hiccup

Post by hiccup » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 pm

You can enquire about job shares too for full time roles. I've had success doing that once but didn't get the job on interview, sadly. Is your username your surname btw? Think I might know you, possibly.
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.
- A. A. Milne, Winnie The Pooh

Randall

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 pm

hiccup wrote:You can enquire about job shares too for full time roles. I've had success doing that once but didn't get the job on interview, sadly. Is your username your surname btw? Think I might know you, possibly.
Where would you happen to know me from? I'll try n figure out who you are! :D

Yeah I have inquired about job shares and reduced hours...the last person literally laughed at me, told me how many applicants they had and that they didn't need to settle for anything less than FT! :eye:

hiccup

Post by hiccup » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Actually from looking at your posts I don't think you are who I thought lol. Ignore me :D

Sorry you got laughed at though. I have two little kids so am stuck with hunting for part time posts too.
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.
- A. A. Milne, Winnie The Pooh

Megzi

Post by Megzi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:29 pm

I am in the same dilemma as you- although I have found a post that covers 1.5 days.
Ideally I would like a 1 day/week post to supplement this.

I plan to ask about job shares in my upcoming interviews (however I am conscious this is likely to be swiftly rejected).

gelbpaint

Post by gelbpaint » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Hey Randall,

Just wondering how many days your Master's is? While I was doing mine I worked 27 hours a week and was in Uni 2 days a week. Stressful, yes, but hard work and organisation paid off (Distinction :D ). Obviously its up to you and how you would be able to manage everything but thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Megzi

Post by Megzi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 am

gelbpaint wrote:Hey Randall,

Just wondering how many days your Master's is? While I was doing mine I worked 27 hours a week and was in Uni 2 days a week. Stressful, yes, but hard work and organisation paid off (Distinction :D ). Obviously its up to you and how you would be able to manage everything but thought I'd throw my two cents in.
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking what the role was?

louisehorne91

Post by louisehorne91 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:22 am

I'm in the same situation really! I really want to do my MSc in September but feel I might have to sacrifice this because most jobs are full time. Has anyone managed to secure a part-time AP post while doing their masters? I was under the impression that it would be highly regarded on applications/interviews if you was doing or going to do a masters but now I'm not sure.
My masters is initially one day a week but may go up to 1.5/2 days in the second semester. And I'm in the north west so posts are difficult to come by up here! :(

Autumn

Post by Autumn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am

Hi,

Just thought I'd share my experience. My MSc was 2.5 days a week and I supplemented this with a 1 day a week honorary AP job for the first 6 months (really good experience but sadly no pay) and then bank support work as and when to get some extra money and experience. I know a lot of people on my MSc worked as bank support workers in local inpatient services because the work was flexible and could be well paid if you did weekend shifts. I stopped the AP post after 6 months so I could focus on my dissertation/exams and found this worked very well.

For honorary positions get in touch with your local AP group as that is how I found mine and they were quite regularly advertised. If you can afford it I would just focus on getting a good grade and maybe some honorary AP or support worker experience. It gave me a lot of experience to draw on in my AP applications after the MSc. But try not to overload yourself, it is better to do one or two things really well than spread yourself too thinly and burn out!

Randall

Post by Randall » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

The MSc will be 2 days per week...Hopefully I haven't messed my plans up by declining the offered 3 day post then! Thing is, I don't want to take too much on board and then find I am struggling. I can't afford the MSc in the first place, so I definitely cannot afford to get a mediocre result in any way. In addition, I am really mindful of the impact too much word may have on my home life...I worked 30hours during my undergraduate and still got a first, but back then I was single, living with my parents and literally just spent WHOLE days doing psych reading/work...I am getting married in April and I work a lot already and barely see my partner during the working weeks. Then when i do, we are both very tired from long working days.

So to sum, my thinking is that it sounds realistic and grounded to aim for a 2 day post to allow for a garanteed one day free per week for PURE MSc working etc. ....So please...someone employ me! :lol:

gelbpaint

Post by gelbpaint » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Megzi wrote:

Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking what the role was?
Hey Megzi,

I was a healthcare assistant (long hours 13.5 hour shifts) but this meant I could work 2 days and do Uni for 2 days and the rest of the week was spent doing Master's work or going to the pub! Hehe. I think it is hard getting the p/t ap jobs but at the time I needed money to pay for the master's and picked up extra shifts when the workload at uni was a bit lighter.

fancyflamingo

Post by fancyflamingo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi Randell,

I saw this post on NHS jobs and wasn't sure if you had seen in

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetai ... =913154550

Its 2.5 days a week in Cambridge, thought you might be interested.

FF

Randall

Post by Randall » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:02 pm

fancyflamingo wrote:Hi Randell,

I saw this post on NHS jobs and wasn't sure if you had seen in

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetai ... =913154550

Its 2.5 days a week in Cambridge, thought you might be interested.

FF
Hey there...thanks for highlighting this one to me. I have today off on annual leave to sort the house out, wedding bits and APPLY for lots of jobs. I did this one this morning, sounds perfect for what I am looking for! So fingers crossed...

Thanks again! :D