Facilitator Interventions Application Advice/Help

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
ljh217

Facilitator Interventions Application Advice/Help

Post by ljh217 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi all,

I recently applied for one of the Facilitator Interventions roles within the prison service and was unsuccessful at the application stage. I've got the qualifications (2:1 Psychology BSc). I'm looking for any advice or experience anyone can lend regarding being successful at the application process. What previous experience did you have before applying? What did you focus your application on etc.?

I've emailed for specific feedback relating to my application but I'm not holding out much hope. I'm trying to get an idea of what the prison service are looking for in a candidate. At least If I know I am missing skills or experience, then I can start looking at ways to go and get that experience.

Their application gives little to no hints about what they are looking for and just asks me to write single experiences relating to these competencies:

4. Leading and Communicating
6. Building Capability for All
11. Achieving a Safe and Secure Environment
12. Showing Drive and Resilience
13. Caring
14. Persuading and Influencing

However, I have many experiences relating to these (I find the descriptions very general and not at all specific)! So I'm struggling to figure out which of my experiences is the most relevant to talk about as well, what kind of length they are looking for in a response and many many other questions! I'd appreciate any aid, advice or past experiences anyone is willing to share with me.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
KettleChip

Re: Facilitator Interventions Application Advice/Help

Post by KettleChip » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:04 am

Hi there,

Im not sure if you are still looking for an answer as I note that this was posted a good few months ago. I used to work as a facilitator in HM Prison Service, so can offer some advice if you still need it.

Facilitator jobs are more focussed on you, your personality, and the interpersonal skills that you have, it is not really about the qualifications you possess. You have to show that you are warm and empathic, can challenge people without being aggressive to think about their offending behaviour etc.

If you're still after some advice just let me know :)

KettleChip

Post by KettleChip » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Found these online. Thought they may be useful for anyone struggling to make sense of the competencies:

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-conte ... an2013.pdf

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/job ... mework.pdf

Katy7

Post by Katy7 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:53 pm

I was wondering how you found the role when you were in it? Like is it what you expected?

I have an interview for this role tomorrow (fingers crossed!) and I have had no luck gaining an NHS AP role and this seemed like a great way to get really valuable experience doing interventions since they actually shortlisted me :)

danielllelauren

Post by danielllelauren » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:06 pm

hi Katie7 was this post for Leyland by any chance? Ive only just found out about these type of posts and seen the one for Leyland but it had closed :( I think they seem like really good posts in which some valuable experience can be gained

KettleChip

Post by KettleChip » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Katy7 wrote:I was wondering how you found the role when you were in it? Like is it what you expected?

I have an interview for this role tomorrow (fingers crossed!) and I have had no luck gaining an NHS AP role and this seemed like a great way to get really valuable experience doing interventions since they actually shortlisted me :)
Hi Katy7

Apologies only just spotted your reply.

I found I did enjoy the role, however it could be emotionally quite demanding at times, especially if you were working with more difficult group members. I also found the first few months a very steep learning curve as well just in terms of learning about yourself as a facilitator and delivering the very first group! In terms of whether it met my expectations looking back I dont think I really had any expectations about what the role would entail - not sure if thats a good or bad thing!

Regardless of this though the work is very rewarding, especially when you can see someone changing as a result of the the work that you have been doing with them. Makes all the hard work worthwhile :) Im not sure if that answers your questions or not?!?! Lol.

How did the interview go? Fingers crossed for you!

nono

Post by nono » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 pm

I just saw this thread and Katy I hope you got the job!!

I started a thread about working in prison and some forum members shared their experiences although not necessarily in this role. The thread is here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17457 if you want to have a look :).

Katy7

Post by Katy7 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:07 pm

I got the job :D I'm really excited as it is along the right lines of what I want. I have worked with groups but not doing the therapy as it has been as a support worker and the prison service really allow you to be involved so I'm hoping I can gain valuable experience. I'm just apprehensive as I have no idea what to expect and I can imagine it is going to be really challenging! I'm hoping the challenging nature will help me to build on my skills well though...

I wondered if you had any advice on how long the vetting procedure takes?

Also if anyone wants to chat about applying, happy to help :) I have applied more than once now loll... :

nono

Post by nono » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:06 am

^ Congratulations!!!
I've recently started working in a prison and for me vetting was quite quick. It took just over 2 weeks from me giving them my documents. I know that it can take longer (3 or 4 weeks sometimes) but that probably depends on the prison.

Katy7

Post by Katy7 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi Nono!

thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to hear back soon....I've had contact with the vetting team about some details so glad it means they're porcessing my app :)

How is the job going? I literally don't know what to expact so any thoughts would be great. Also where about are you based?

Cjones

Post by Cjones » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am

Hi guys,

Sorry to jump in here (and well done Katy for getting the job) just wondering if you guys could give me a bit of advise! I also have an interview for an interventions facilitator for Wakefield prison next month :D It's my dream job, I've done a degree in forensic psychology and criminal justice already and just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me some interview tips! I've never done anything like this and want yo fully prepare myself for the best chance of getting it xx

Beej

Post by Beej » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi, I have got an interview for a facilitator interventions. Has anybody got any advice?!

Thank you!!

Katy7

Post by Katy7 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Hey both,

Sorry for late reply, I'm currently stressing over my MSc Disso, its due very soon! I'm currently awaiting my security checks to be completed and will hopefully be starting my job as a facilitator very soon :D

More than happy to help :) This summer I actually had 2 interviews with them and my first interview , though it went okay it wasnt a great interview. A few months later second time round I did the following after reflecting on my first one and wahay I got the job....though I'm sure I still felt like I'd done badly at the end :p

First place to start is with the framework of the prison to find out what they like, I think the links below (KettleChip actually posted these earlier in the thread) are the place to go:

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-conte ... an2013.pdf

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/job ... mework.pdf

They uphold a certain standard of working like any organisation so its really handy to understand what they are looking for. What their key attributes are, how they handle conflict etc. It helped me to think about how I can work to that (trust me it helps!).

Secondly remember this is competency based. It isn't about all the experience you've racked up but more about how you would apply yourself to given scenarios. They ask you questions like what would you do in this situation etc etc. I personally like this way of job recruitment as the NHS work very differently and frankly I'm sick of applying when they only look at the applications with previous AP experience, the feedback I always get from NHS is no AP experience.....the joys.... Anyway NOMS value your ability to do the job, it doesn't matter what your background so think about how you would handle situations presented to you, rather than trying to tell them about everything you've ever done. This job is facilitating group interventions so work around that. It is all about your ability to be a facilitator, not about your CV...

Thirdly, what type of prison are you going for? I went for both a low secure and high secure. The interviews are different....Do you have a presentation to do ?

For presentation, I'm quite a confident presenter anyway....but things to remember:

1) Find your topic
2) Make sure you are answering what is asked
3) Plan it into smaller sections for delivery.....break it up basically....

Don't fret too much if it isn't the greatest of topics. I wasn't sure what to write about but I realised wasting time at this stage means you'll have less time to actually practise your delivery which is important! For this think about.....

How are you going to deliver it?
Remember its an interactive presentation, how will you do this?
Giving eye contact
Be friendly, happy, smiley
Don't read off your sheet.....
You will have a flipchart, will you use it?

I think I've read other posts on this forum about people thinking too much about what to say but I think the way you say it, deliver it etc is just as important!

If you want anything else just drop me a private message as I'll get a notificaton :)

Hope that helps....I'm really excited/ anxious to start! And the security checks are still underway (I got the job beginning of August) so remember that even when you get the job it might be a few months before you start....Luckily for me its worked out well around my studies....I just cant wait to really start doing interventions! I've done research, I've done the support worker role, so this will be a great way into therapy!

Good luck both! Sorry for going on ha! I do have a trouble being concise....*looks at disso which is 750 words over*

emmahalliday

Post by emmahalliday » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I have found this thread really useful when preparing for my interventions facilitator interview. I'd love to return the favour and will happily offer advice to anyone who needs any help. Feel free to message me. I don't actually know if I've got the job yet so can't comment on the role but can definitely help with the interview process :)

Emma :)

Criminologist_Lawyer

Post by Criminologist_Lawyer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:15 pm

I am currently applying for these roles. I have a law and criminology background. I am also a volunteer in the Air Cadets so I've used some examples of my work there when discussing 'Achieving a Safe and Secure Environment' and 'Building Capability' - must confess that I have never worked with prisoners. We do have to challenge cadets behaviour and think about security as part of the Armed Forces. I've also used examples from a bartender job and I have improved the work of law students with drugs problems etc in my private tutoring business, got to try something. I've also mentioned qualifying as a fitness instructor to recover from my own anxiety disorder and learning about managing health and diet. Just got to hope that was OK.

My main question is how many words have you generally used on the competencies part? The maximum is 4000 but I can imagine people could get fed up of reading an essay for each point.

Thanks very much