Facilitator Interventions Application Advice/Help

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
emmahalliday

Re: Facilitator Interventions Application Advice/Help

Post by emmahalliday » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi Criminologist_Lawyer,

I've just had a look at mine and I've written between 400-700 words for each question. Obviously you'll have more to write on some questions than others. I think as long as you cover the main points they are looking for in each competency, you'll be fine. With the Prison Service, I don't think that they're necessarily looking for experience, I think it's all about personal qualities and how you tackle situations. The Civil Service Competency Framework and Prison Service Competency and Qualities Framework both really helped me.

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-conte ... y-2012.pdf
posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=16579

I'd just make sure that they can see that you've put a decent amount of effort into the answers. I applied for a few position with answers that were rushed and not overly thought out. I never got an interview. As soon as I sat down and actually put a decent amount of effort into my answers, I applied for two positions, got interviews for both and have been taken through to the second stage of process!

Good luck and if I can help further, message me :)

LEW1982

Post by LEW1982 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:02 pm

I have an interview for a post and there is a mention of an 'assessment centre' - does any one have any tips on what this involves? I am not so great at maths so this is a worry!

annap6

Post by annap6 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi guys,

I know a couple of you have had interviews for an intervention facilitator position, I have one myself coming up. I know there may be some situation questions.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any example of questions they might ask, any tips anything like that?

Would love any tips or guidance!

Thanks!

LEW1982

Post by LEW1982 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:38 am

Do they let you know if you have been unsuccessful? I had an interview 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing. I'd assume that they could easily let people know with it all being computerised now. I won't say which prison but they seem extremely slow full stop so I am not even 100% sure I haven't go it yet although it must probably be the case.

Katy7

Post by Katy7 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:06 pm

I waited around 2 weeks for a reply but don't expect a telephone call....I found that I had no actual contact with my team until I started (I found this pretty strange) and was only in touch with the vetting team and this was mainly through email. They send you an email saying you have/haven't got the job and then just say they will contact you when vetting is complete.....I found it all abit surreal until I actually had a start date confirmed as there was no definitive for anything before that.

I found the process extremely frustrating in the sense I had no idea what was happening. I must have seemed a nuisance to them but I regularly emailed to check my current status and to help push along references they may have been waiting on (for example when old work places don't fill in references). If you are urgent to start I recommend that as it's helped me start before others joining my team....but in general, be ready to have no real contact until vetting is complete.

Good luck with the outcome! Hope you get the job :) I'm really happy I'm finally in the role but I am still a bit worried if clinical doctorate will see it as enough to get on the doctorate or whether I will need to go on the hunt for an NHS based role in 2015?

What do you think?

Keoster

Post by Keoster » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 pm

I have had two interviews for this role, the first one I waited only a week to hear back. The most recent one was very slow but as you mentioned before it also took a very long time after the deadline to hear back about an interview, but saying that my first one was just 6 questions and a presentation, and this one was pretty exhaustive - the 'assessment centre' was basically just another 20+ questions on top of the 6 and presentation, so I guess they might have had a lot more to work through!

Last week I got an email saying that they haven't appointed me to the role on this occasion, however, I will be a reserve for the next 12 months so if another position comes up they will contact me. Has anyone experienced this before? I am really determined to get this job as by the sounds of it - it suits me perfectly! But obviously I don't want to sit around with my fingers crossed for a whole year - and there is no mention of how many might be 'reserved', and I don't know how likely it is that something will come up in that time.

@Katy7, I think the experience you get from this role will be very relevant to the doctorate, plus I have read on here somewhere about people with similar roles getting on to the doctorate - so good luck with that! I personally feel that if you think you are developing the necessary skills and experiences that you will need and you're enjoying it then stick at it!!

N400Effect

Post by N400Effect » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:08 am

I start soon!! Can someone tell me whether there is good training? Also how long before you start until you deliver your first group? SO nervous!!!!

Hummingbird

Post by Hummingbird » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi N400Effect,

I worked as an Interventions Facilitator for HMPS for four years and was involved in the assessment centres and interview process (I now work for the NHS). I imagine you will be on training quite quickly and then if you are assessed as 'ready' on the training- you are likely to go in to group deliveries almost straight away depending on the needs of your department. The training is good, can be nerve-wracking- but you will be fine as long as you show an openness to feedback from the trainers.

During my four years, I delivered four different OBP's of various intensities and got to attend supervision and treatment management training too. So the scope for training is usually quite good.

Good luck in your new role, hope it all goes well. :)

hlntckr

Post by hlntckr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi all,

I was invited for an interview this morning for the facilitator: interventions job role. It is at a High Security Establishment and stated within the email is - "At interview, candidates are expected to prepare a presentation from the list below. The presentation should last approximately 10/15 minutes" Candidates will also take part in role play...

Would anyone be able to offer any advice on how they found this process? That is if anyone else has done a presentation and role play within the interview? I am nervous as I have never done a presentation in this format before :shock:

I assume that I will also be asked questions alongside and was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some assistance in this area.
In previous job interviews all of which have been psychology related I have been asked questions about what I would do in difficult circumstances involving things such as confidentiality procedures, self-harm, risk to others etc. I know these questions are often designed to put you on the spot and see how you react under pressure and in difficult situations - Has anyone been asked such a question in these types of interviews?

Sorry if this post seems long winded. Like everyone else who applies for the job I am very, very eager to get it and appreciate all of the previous posts which have been useful :D

Keoster

Post by Keoster » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:46 am

hlntckr,

I never had to do role play but did have to do a presentation. I actually had a phone call this morning to say I have been offered the job awaiting the vetting procedure (I was put on the reserve list after an interview in november)!

My advice re. presentation is remember that in you role, you will be presenting information to prisoners - so show that you have thought about this. One of my questions in the interview was actually about why I chose to present the information in the way I did and generally more about my presentation style. Even if you aren't asked about this, I think it's really positive to show that you have considered the best way to deliver information to a range of people.

I previously posted that my interview consisted of 6 questions (all competency - practice your STAR technique!), a 10 minute presentation (which was timed by the way on a phone in front of me - most nervewracking bit!!) and then the 'assessment centre' which in my opinion was a fancy way of disguising another 1000 competency related questions. Before this interview, I had two others for the same role at different prisons. I have to say that what benefited me this last interview was definitely taking time. They always say in interviews 'if you need to take some time to think that's fine' etc. but i never did because it felt awkward to me. But in this interview, I really took time in between each answer to construct it in a really thought out way and make sure I covered the STAR to really address how i met the competency. My assessment questions did include things like you mentioned to see what you would do in certain situations, for example 'you overhear someone say this..what do you do?' or 'you're delivering your group and this happens' etc.

Good luck!!

hlntckr

Post by hlntckr » Fri May 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Thank you for your reply and congratulations on the job offer! Good luck with it all and I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks for mentioning the STAR technique too as I am not familiar with this... I will have a thorough research of it now.

With regards to your presentation style, I am a bit confused about how you chose to present your information? Do you mean you presented your information formally or informally? Maybe I'm getting massively confused. I've worked with ex-offenders before and throughout training, we were told to have a more informal approach with clients as they often didn't like members of authority and therefore formal approaches to communication - they preferred more informal approaches to communicating.

Thanks again for all your advice :)

mbaj0010

Post by mbaj0010 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of applying for a post of an intervention facilitator.. does anyone have any tips as to how to answer the application questions... they're quiet vague.

Thanks in advance

Katy7

Post by Katy7 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi all

I just wanted to raise a point of concern. I have happily posted advice on this forum in terms of preparing for interview and am always happy to help in this sense however I have received pms asking me to share my application answers. If I'm honest I will not do this for many reasons.

Firstly, the application questions link directly to the prison services values. Both myself and kettlechip have previously posted the links to these where you can see what they encompass. If you research into what each core competency means I have faith that you will answer correctly with an understanding of what's expected. My advice would be to read the question and simply answer it using an example specific to you Using that knowledge.

Secondly, how will any of us learn and develop on a personal level unless we face challenges that can be tricky like application forms. By all means I'd look at an example answer but how is me giving you my answers going to help you to develop? I don't think it will. Please have faith in yourself and give it a go. My experiences are not your experiences and i see no value in giving my answers out. Instead I have concern it will be used so that the application process is completed faster.

Thirdly on a more positive note for those aspiring clinical psychs, I've got a place on the clinical doctorate so keep going! The experience I've gained from this job is challenging and has really pushed me further in my development so much I've got a place :D

Julianna

Post by Julianna » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:31 am

Hi,

I found everyone's comments very useful in my search for a facilitator job. However I was wondering if anyone (maybe with knowledge of the HR recruitment process) could give me any advice about applying for these jobs as a foreigner. I am a Canadian who recently finished my MSc in forensic psychology at a British universtiy so I am familiar with the criminal justice system and treatment. I would require sponsorship for a work permit. I have been applying to these jobs with seemingly more qualifications then most posts are asking for, except for previous experience. I have experience volunteering in forensic institution but for the past couple years I have been teaching English. I think teaching (and some past training experience) offers me many transferable skills. For example, I'm accustomed to giving presentations and being challenged by students. I'm really eager to get in the field but I can't seem to get an interview! Does anyone know if there's anything I can do as a foreigner to be a more desirable condidate?

Psychfriend

Post by Psychfriend » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:21 am

Hi guys,

I have got to the interview stage of the Facilitator: Interventions position. I would really value some tips on the interview process.

How long is the interview?
How many questions do the interviewees ask?
Are they all competency based?
Are testing you on the specific competencies that they asked for on the application?
Are they more interested in the detail of one situation based on the competency, or many experiences portraying a particular competency?

Tbf, any and all help will be appreciated please!!!!!!

Thank you in advance xx