Replies to Advice Writing ClinPsy Doctorate Application wiki

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
firegal
Team Member

Replies to Advice Writing ClinPsy Doctorate Application wiki

Post by firegal » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:48 am

Responses to this wiki.

This is awesome advice (says the person with 3 failed applications so far), thank you :D

kiora

Re: Writing of Application - Advice

Post by kiora » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:52 am

I second that mikel- a really generous and helpful post. thanks!

aspiringpsych

Post by aspiringpsych » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Likewise, thank you for a generous and helpful post :)

PsyJason

Post by PsyJason » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post this Mikel, very useful.

Amina

Re: Advice for Writing of ClinPsy Doctorate Application

Post by Amina » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks Mikel - very much appreciated that you've taken the time to do this, and a really lovely, thorough look at the application process and filling in the form! I'm sure this will be very inspiring for many.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Firegal, I had three unsuccessful applications, it happens to the best of us, hope you get on this year, be well deserved!

Kiora, Aspiringpsych, PsyJason, and Amina my pleasure, I hope you all do well during the application stage (if applying). All the best - Mikel :)

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:57 pm

I read this and wondered where it went! Thank you it's really good advise

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi Randomswirls,

I orginally put in in the application thread, but it was moved to the wiki as it seemd a more appropriate setting for it. My pleasure, how you getting on with it all?

miknatissizpusula

Post by miknatissizpusula » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:39 am

This is a very amazing post, thank you! I just have a question about the dissemination section; would unpublished MSc thesis titles be ok for briefly describing in there ? I have the inclination to add the title and what it was about; but again, I don't want to look like I am trying to cram it all in! What do people think?

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 am

If the MSc thesis was not disseminated in any shape or form I would not add it to this section - it looks like you are just trying to fill that space for the sake of it, and almost running the risk of showing you don't understand what dissemination is (in this context).

You could perhaps put it in your personal statement or relevant other experience instead? Putting the whole title may be a waste of words, but rather it would be better to state what you actually did and gained from conducting the research, and it's applicability to CP.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi miknat,

Sarahg has pretty much given the reply I would have done, thank you Sarah ;) If you haven't 'disseminated' your masters - don't put it down (as Sarah said it looks like you're trying to squeeze everything on there for the sake of it,a common mistake people make all over the form). If you presented a poster of it at conference, yes, if no kind of dissemination, then no. I wrote something about this section on a separate thread:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17768&start=15

All the best m :)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:26 am

The point is that one of your examples of "dissemination" is given as an unpublished thesis...
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:33 pm

miriam wrote:The point is that one of your examples of "dissemination" is given as an unpublished thesis...
Very true! I obviously don't read or judge CP applications, but as a researcher I would argue that an unpublished thesis is not true dissemination. Disseminating research means to present (whether that be journal, presentation, report, poster etc) the research to a wider audience. Technically you could argue the wider audience was a supervisor, but I certainly think that would be stretching the definition, and there appears to be space in other areas of the form to talk about research.

Mikel Arteta

Re: Replies to Advice Writing ClinPsy Doctorate Application

Post by Mikel Arteta » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:44 pm

I agree with Sarah here. I didn't state any of my dissertations on my form as they were not disseminated in any way.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

Beggarsroost

Re: Replies to Advice Writing ClinPsy Doctorate Application

Post by Beggarsroost » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Just to play devils advocate here.....

I recently attended a AP group that had 2 current trainees attending giving some general advice regarding The Form. The advice given quite emphatically was that you can include your dissertation(s) in the dissemination section regardless of whether you had truly 'disseminated' it anywhere. The two trainees at the group had both done this and had obviously been successful with no questions asked.

We were also advised to 'big up what we had' in the dissemination section so were encouraged to include every little thing. For example leaflets designed and used, presentations to teams and training sessions given or co-facilitated. I presented some audit stuff I did to a trust wide psychology team. I also attended a training course and then delivered a teaching session to the MDT team on the ward. According to the advice given at the meeting I could include both of these examples.

I guess like everything else it depends on the course and the shortlister. The danger is that you look like you are clumsily trying to hide the fact you have no 'real' dissemination or publications.
Life is far too important to be taken seriously