Voluntary CBT Training Placement

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
KitKelly

Voluntary CBT Training Placement

Post by KitKelly » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Hello All,

I've lost my training placement part way through a step 3 CBT course :( and am having some difficulty finding a suitable alternative. I can travel to South/West London, Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire. If you are aware of any possibilities, or are having a similar experience, it would be good to hear from you......

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
bluegoat

Re: Voluntary CBT Training Placement

Post by bluegoat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:39 pm

KitKelly wrote:Hello All,

I've lost my training placement part way through a step 3 CBT course :( and am having some difficulty finding a suitable alternative. I can travel to South/West London, Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire. If you are aware of any possibilities, or are having a similar experience, it would be good to hear from you......
I'm really sorry to hear that. How frustrating.

Have you tried the IAPT services in those areas?

KitKelly

Post by KitKelly » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm with several job agencies who are aware I need access to step 3 patients and are looking for IAPT jobs. I've also tried some private organisations which offer CBT and have an indication of providing placements. I was working for an IAPT service as a PWP when the placement was stopped due to pressures on the service (although the logic behind this was never very clear and certainly not open for discussion).

Potentially there are many organisations which might find having a trainee therapist useful; being able to target them is difficult as it will probably depend on managers' attitudes and who is walking through the door. Counselling services tend to want a counselling modality as well as CBT.

I'll keep trying but time is running out.

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:21 am

I'm not sure how helpful the agencies would be as I know they tend to deal with services who need qualified therapists but maybe there is a way they can help that I'm not aware of.

If I was you, I would try contacting all IAPT services that I could realistically travel to. Most don't have an established way of advertising for trainees but I think that many would be open to the possibility of having an honorary worker. Have you tried that? There is an IAPT service in all of the areas that you mentioned, so I would think it's worth pursuing.

Failing that, I would try MIND, as you seem to be suggesting. In fact, I do know that Mind in Richmond are particularly interested in honorary CBT therapists. http://www.rbmind.org/volunteer-vacancies.asp

Don't give up, something will come up. Let us know how you get on.

KitKelly

Post by KitKelly » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:11 pm

All really good ideas, many thanks for your help, I'll update in the near future.