Facilitator intervention jobs

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
pb42

Facilitator intervention jobs

Post by pb42 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 pm

I have read some interesting stuff regarding the application and interview process for a facilitator job in prison. It is a role I am really interested in having taught in a prison for about a year. I would really like some advice about whether I am wasting my time applying (I did receive an interview but backed out due to distance to job from home) for this type of job as when i read some of the qualifications people have or busy studying for I feel i have no chance! I have a degree but not in subjects useful to job (Politics and History) and a PGCE as taught Functional Skills (maths and Englsih). I volunteered in the Probation Service but that was many years ago (17!). My last job was teaching in a youth offending prison. I just feel everyone seems to be doing MSc or have Psychology degrees! Is this a job where your training would fully prepare you for the role? Is there an assumption at interview you are knowlegeable about interventions/jargon and what you will actually be delivering? Are interventions open for all offenders or mainly for those with substance/alchohol missue probelms? The fact I already secured a interview maybe gave me a little bit of hope but I do not want to reapply and be asked questions which will have me sitting there with a blank look on my face!

Also, for anyone already in this role a brief summary of a day/week in the life of a facilitator would be really useful.

Thank in advance.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lingua_franca

Re: Facilitator intervention jobs

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:12 pm

I've never worked in a prison so I can't answer your specific questions, but if you've applied for the same post before and been invited to interview, then on paper you must have the right qualifications - they wouldn't waste time shortlisting you just for the heck of it if what they really wanted was someone with a psychology degree.

Having a psychology degree or conversion could be an advantage in that you might be quicker to grasp the rationale underpinning a particular intervention, and you might have important insight into people's behaviour and difficulties, grounded in the theory. But a BSc doesn't train people how to carry out interventions, if that's any reassurance, and it certainly doesn't guarantee that a candidate will have all the right skills and personal qualities. I'd apply for the job without filling yourself with self-doubts, concentrate on your own experience rather than other people's, and let the shortlisters decide. :)
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

pb42

Post by pb42 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Thank you for taking time to reply. I think you are right I should just go ahead and apply and just see how it goes.

natalie427

Post by natalie427 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:04 pm

From what I believe, they go off competencies so they do not focus on what you have in terms of qualifications but more focus on what qualities you have and how well you can evidence these. I think you would be rather suited to the role.

This is coming from myself who has a Msc in Forensic Psychology - I think you'd stand a better chance them myself for these roles!

pb42

Post by pb42 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Thank you for that. I never applied but another job has came up closer to home. If i go ahead with application there is a 10 min flipchart presentation and role play. Would love someone to tell me what that could entail. Although I am greatly interested in this job some insight to the day day duties would be useful. What topics are covered in sessions with offenders?
Is the work mainly groups or 1:1?

sofia

Post by sofia » Fri May 05, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi,

I would also like to ask for some information on this role. Does anyone know what kind of interventions would the post holder be facilitating? It sounds as though it is around addiction treatment? And are they formal treatment interventions?
And also, as the job does not require a qualification in Psychology, I wonder if it would be worth for someone with a BSc and MSc and IAPT experience to apply? I am sure it is a great experience and I am actually very interested in prison work but I wonder whether it would be seen as less than PWP or AP?
Any advice would be appreciated :)

hannah0120

Post by hannah0120 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:53 pm

I have done a couple of jobs in secure services - one in a medium secure unit and one in prison.

It would help to know more about the job - is there a job description you can look at? This should tell you a bit more about what the interventions might be. Also if you know what type of prison it is that might give you a clue.

Interventions in prison could be substance misuse related, but also could be related to a sex offender programme.
pb42 wrote:Thank you for that. I never applied but another job has came up closer to home. If i go ahead with application there is a 10 min flipchart presentation and role play. Would love someone to tell me what that could entail. Although I am greatly interested in this job some insight to the day day duties would be useful. What topics are covered in sessions with offenders?
Is the work mainly groups or 1:1?
What category prison? Male/female prison? who is the employer? (e.g. NHS or NOMS).

I worked in a substance misuse team in a women's prison. I did assessments, care planning, risk assessing, 1:1 and group interventions. There was nothing particularly structured, and the groups were psychoeducational.

I am happy to answer any questions if I can help at all. Would really need more information about the job though.

sofia

Post by sofia » Wed May 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Thank you, this is helpful.
I don't know about the other roles people are referring to but the one I found is through NOMS, high security male prison. Job description barely says anything, only that there will be group or 1-2-1 interventions. I emailed to ask for more information but HR replied saying that they can only see what I can see and that I should ask these questions if I am invited to an interview.

hannah0120

Post by hannah0120 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:13 am

Could be an accredited programme such as the ones listed here?

https://www.justice.gov.uk/offenders/be ... elease/obp

I would suggest phoning up the department if you can, or if not asking more at interview.

psychsars

Post by psychsars » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Hiya

Hoping for some advice on the facilitator interview, I'm so nervous! Mainly because I've got very little information, all I know is that it's inside the prison and that my slot is an hour long but there's no mention of having to do a presentation or role play like other people have experienced on this forum. Just wondering can help me with what to expect!