BPS/DCP member - favourable in application?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
pinkaliengoo

BPS/DCP member - favourable in application?

Post by pinkaliengoo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:20 pm

My BPS/DCP membership is up for renewal but obviously it being just after christmas etc £150 is looking like a lot to splash out right now. Can anyone shed any light on how membership is perceived at application stage? I'm due to qualify this year (hopefully..!) and some of the jobs I've seen have had membership down as a 'desirable'. Any advice?

Thanks!

Gilly

Re: BPS/DCP member - favourable in application?

Post by Gilly » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:43 am

Hi

Whilst some job applications may put it down as desirable, I am aware of no situation in which a suitable candidate would be turned down because they weren't a member of the BPS/DCP. If anything it would only be mentioned briefly on your job application when you put down your professional membership (at which point HCPC is more pertinent).

I suppose I would say not to worry about it in regards to applications for jobs (I know plenty of qualified psychologists who are not members - most of my cohort in fact), but to think about it more for the wider profession and whether you feel that is important to you at this time

hope that helps :)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.