Applying for DClinPsy during final year undergrad

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
ANClinPsy

Applying for DClinPsy during final year undergrad

Post by ANClinPsy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm currently doing a placement year as an honorary AP full time for 12 months.
I am aiming for a high 2:1 or 1st.
Next academic year is my final year and I'm considering applying for the DClinPsy straight away because I have relevant experience. Is this wise? What are my chances of getting on?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
alexh

Re: Applying for DClinPsy during final year undergrad

Post by alexh » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 pm

You might very well not get on but I believe there is nonetheless much to gain from applying in terms of learning the process and learning about yourself, e.g. gaps in knowledge and skills. In general I am dismayed to hear assistants tell me they're not applying because they feel they don't stand a good chance, I suppose your case stretches that reasoning to its limit.

There's little to lose except £25 and the emotions of rejection. Probably best to have low expectations though.

I would carefully check you meet minimum criteria as I thought some courses insist you have finished qualifications? Even in that event I'd still encourage you to write a full application, as long as it doesn't impact on getting your degree of course.

han10

Post by han10 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi ANClinPsy,

Just a brief comment based on my experience of shortlisting for one course (others will have different criteria etc)
The course I shortlisted for this year would not have reviewed your form if you had not completed your undergrad - it would be the first thing that was checked and then the form would be rejected without being read.
Equally without a year's full time PAID experience forms would be rejected.

Just something to be aware of and as Alexh states it would be really sensible to check carefully which courses you wish to apply to and what their cirteria are so you make informed applications.

On a personal note - I got onto training 2 years after completing my undergraduate - although I coped, in hindsight I think I would have really benefitted from a few more years experience pre-training and it would have helped me manage the course better and ulitmately made me a better CP! (not that I felt that at the time - I was unconsciously incompetent - I didn't know what I didn't know)

Good luck whatever you decide. But focus mostly on getting the best undergraduate grade you can - you can't change that but you can always get more experience later.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:47 pm

It's pretty rare, but not impossible. I think there have been a handful of sucessful final-year applicants over the past few years. There have been a few threads similar to yours in the past so it might be worth searching the forums.

Anyway, I agree with the posters above - check on clearing house which courses would consider you, that'll rule out some. Choose your courses and give it a go, but be realistic. It's good to experience the process and even if you have low expectations, rejections will sting a little (or a lot!), but it'll give you an idea of what it's like and you might get some useful feedback for next year's process if you don't get on. And if you do get on, then well done you! (;
:cat: I like cats! :cat:

ANClinPsy

Post by ANClinPsy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:03 pm

han10 wrote:Hi ANClinPsy,

Just a brief comment based on my experience of shortlisting for one course (others will have different criteria etc)
The course I shortlisted for this year would not have reviewed your form if you had not completed your undergrad - it would be the first thing that was checked and then the form would be rejected without being read.
Equally without a year's full time PAID experience forms would be rejected.

Just something to be aware of and as Alexh states it would be really sensible to check carefully which courses you wish to apply to and what their cirteria are so you make informed applications.

On a personal note - I got onto training 2 years after completing my undergraduate - although I coped, in hindsight I think I would have really benefitted from a few more years experience pre-training and it would have helped me manage the course better and ulitmately made me a better CP! (not that I felt that at the time - I was unconsciously incompetent - I didn't know what I didn't know)

Good luck whatever you decide. But focus mostly on getting the best undergraduate grade you can - you can't change that but you can always get more experience later.
Thanks for the insight. Just out of interest, which university were you shortlisting for?

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:18 pm

ANClinPsy wrote:Thanks for the insight. Just out of interest, which university were you shortlisting for?
Our users are anonymous, and most would not want to be linked to a specific course. Just be glad of the extra insight, and check out the courses yourself. From memory there were 4 people who got on from undergrad in a 5 year period that we checked some time back...
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Loula

Post by Loula » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Have a look at the courses you are interested in. I've just done a quick google of 5 localish courses to me, and all say in their entry requirements that either undergraduate degree must have been completed or that the candidate must be eligble for GBC (which you won't be without an awarded degree). There was only one exception mentioned and that was those awaiting confirmation of OU degrees (I assume due to their year running a bit differently). I would have a look yourself, and email any courses that are not clear as it may save you a wasted application. I can think of one person who got on from undergrad (a poster on here) and they had significant experience in a related field prior to doing their degree.

Plus I agree with han10- another couple of years pre-training would have not have done me any harm at all!

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:00 pm

I was going to say what Loula already has - don't assume that if someone has got on from undergraduate that they are 21 /22 years old - they may have had substantial relevant experience already, and career or professional qualification / degree in a related area.

I get the temptation to rush, but some of my most valuable experiences were prior to training, and this experience really helped me to hone where I wanted to work when I qualified.