Voluntering at GAMHS

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
AngelaRam

Voluntering at GAMHS

Post by AngelaRam » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi there,

I am currently working as Support Worker but i am looking in expanding my experience and get as much as I can before applying for AP posts.I was wondering if anybody has volunteered at Glasgow's Mental Health Association and can let me know more details or share his own experience.

The whole process seems a little bit competitive for a voluntary post and i was wondering whether it is worth trying and spend around 6 months in such kind of job or not.If somebody knows more please let me know.

Thanks

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Knots

Re: Voluntering at GAMHS

Post by Knots » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi AngelaRam

I volunteered with GAMH for about 6 months, and then went on to work there as a support for a year and a bit. I found it a really useful experience as you get the chance to support people through the daily challenges they can face with severe and enduring mental health problems. It gave me a great insight in to working with people from a variety of different backgrounds and I still draw on those experiences. It was my first job in mental health and has certainly helped me towards getting on a doctorate course.

Hope that's helpful, but if you have any specific questions, drop me a PM

=)